Looking at a new RST Duramax, pricing, etc

Hello all,

I am new here, new to Chevy and new to trucks in general. I own a 2012 Mini Cooper S Coupe I bought used from Carmax and is almost paid off that I love and plan to keep. My commute is changing to more highway driving and I help my mom out on her small farm.

I am looking at a new 2021 Silverado 3.0l RST with Leather and a sunroof. I have never bought a new car before and I was trying to get info on how I can avoid overpaying. It looks like the dealer has 3 of these nearly identical trucks, 2 in black and 1 in grey. They have discounted the price down by about $6000 including Customer cash to around the $49k range. They also list a similar truck with the Z71 package as closer to $46k based on the "Dealer discount" being higher, it has a standard bed, and I am more looking at the short bed because I park in a parking deck for the next few months. Any idea why they would list a truck that looks to be equipped the same but without a Z71 as higher than a truck with this package. I can afford to pay more, but I don't want to have to and don't want to get scammed.

How much do you think I can get them down to and what approach should I take? I have read that you should find out the invoice price that the dealer paid, but I am not sure where to find this information. The websites I have seen so far to get the invoice price seem to just be scamming sites trying to get my personal information to bombard me with ads and phone calls. 

Thanks in advance for helping me with my naivety.

26 minutes ago, AONYX said:

Hello all,

I am new here, new to Chevy and new to trucks in general. I own a 2012 Mini Cooper S Coupe I bought used from Carmax and is almost paid off that I love and plan to keep. My commute is changing to more highway driving and I help my mom out on her small farm.

I am looking at a new 2021 Silverado 3.0l RST with Leather and a sunroof. I have never bought a new car before and I was trying to get info on how I can avoid overpaying. It looks like the dealer has 3 of these nearly identical trucks, 2 in black and 1 in grey. They have discounted the price down by about $6000 including Customer cash to around the $49k range. They also list a similar truck with the Z71 package as closer to $46k based on the "Dealer discount" being higher, it has a standard bed, and I am more looking at the short bed because I park in a parking deck for the next few months. Any idea why they would list a truck that looks to be equipped the same but without a Z71 as higher than a truck with this package. I can afford to pay more, but I don't want to have to and don't want to get scammed.

How much do you think I can get them down to and what approach should I take? I have read that you should find out the invoice price that the dealer paid, but I am not sure where to find this information. The websites I have seen so far to get the invoice price seem to just be scamming sites trying to get my personal information to bombard me with ads and phone calls. 

Thanks in advance for helping me with my naivety.

The 3.0L Duramax with the 10-speed is highly sought after right now and rightly so.  I have one and it's incredible.  Throughly impressed with it.

I had to custom order my 2020 back in August last year and yet I still got a great deal on it, about 12.75% off MSRP.  

If you are looking to get the latest and greatest, and can hold on purchasing till the end of the year, then wait on the 2022 to come out as it will be a mid-cycle refresh with a refreshed front end, major update to the interior similar to the new Tahoe's and Surburban's.

Check the options list carefully -- they can easily change the MSRP of the vehicle. 

Take a photo of the window sheet.

Be aware that the left hand side will list the 'standard equipment' for the trim/engine that is listed at top of sheet.  The options are listed to the right hand, and sometimes override what is listed as standard.

Go to GM's website and check out the 'offers' they have for your area.  They change every month.  Different districts can have different programs offered.

Some dealers are pretty good at implying a 'discount' as there own, even if it just the GM discount. 

Sometimes the 'programs' include offers of financing.  Sometimes is financing OR dollars discount.  Sometimes its better to finance yourself at a bank/credit union.  

Double cabs all have a standard bed.

Crew cab (1500's) can have a standard bed or a short bed. 

The crew-short is the same overall length as the double cab standard.   

On RST, 2wd crew is only available with shortbed, 4wd crew can be std or short;  on DC they are all 4wd  std (may have something to do with the price differences)