Muffler resonator delete

Hey how’s it going Chevy crew. I have a 2021 Chevy Silverado trailboss 6.2. I just did a resonator delete and installed a flow master 40 series. Does this void my warranty in any way? What’s been your experience? Thanks.

Good morning,

Nah, you didn't void your warranty in any way. Per the law(Magnuson Moss Act), modifications made to the vehicle that affected said items would be excluded from warranty coverage if an issue arose, or if they were found to have created/caused another issue. Example, since you changed your exhaust a bit, say you had an issue with something related to it, they could push back and fault you. But, say your transmission acts up some time later, it's still covered because that's unrelated to the exhaust. Not the best examples, but hopefully it paints the picture. It seems the only time folks really void majority of their warranty is when they tune a vehicle, otherwise it's just item by item with aftermarket mods if issues come up.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Obviously, really bad info.
If for some reason the engine were to run lean and eat a pistion or 2 that would be on the OPs dime.
I'm looking at it more as if it were from the muffler on back and no upstream sensors were affected, then any issue such as what you stated would be hard for the warranty to be denied. Sure, if a full exhaust system were swapped, O2 sensors altered, cats removed/replaced, then absolutely. But per the way the act reads, not for what he did in my opinion. A simple muffler swap shouldn't cause any issue such as that and if it did, I know I personally would go to hell and back before that were from my dime.

Will it cause you any warranty issues if something happens to your truck? Probably not. 

But that's a larger "probably" risk, IMO. Dealers are getting more and more stingy about stuff like this. They very well could make a case that your aftermarket exhaust caused some mechanical malfunction. Sure, you could go after them and waste 6 months of your life and spending lots of $ (and opportunity cost $) to prove them wrong. 

It's all up to you, OP. I bought the GM catback because I didn't want any chance of this kind of circus show with my local dealer (who have already show they would pull something like this). 

If my truck were out of the powertrain warranty, or close to it, I would not have cared and put a cheaper exhaust on it. 

• Like 1

Would a flow master muffler and resonator delete make engine run leaner?
Mine didn't, and it shouldn't. I removed my muffler and flapper valves and put on a Flowmaster Super 44. I put about 1k miles on it before I reverted back to stock just because I wasn't a fan of the drone and hearing the DFM.

I guess I need to throw on a disclaimer before I'm hit with giving "bad" info again. As some others said, there's always a risk when modding and you have to "pay to play" some times. But, what you're doing is a very common set up with what seems to be very little or no problems.

21 minutes ago, RStrain56 said:

Mine didn't, and it shouldn't. I removed my muffler and flapper valves and put on a Flowmaster Super 44. I put about 1k miles on it before I reverted back to stock just because I wasn't a fan of the drone and hearing the DFM.

I guess I need to throw on a disclaimer before I'm hit with giving "bad" info again. As some others said, there's always a risk when modding and you have to "pay to play" some times. But, what you're doing is a very common set up with what seems to be very little or no problems.

Just put some Duratracs on.. you won't hear it over the drone of the tires :)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Claudio Salgado said:

Would a flow master muffler and resonator delete make engine run leaner?

Its all sound.  That's all you are really changing is just sound.  

If you were doing catted long tube headers?  That would require a touch of tuning to take advantage of the added airflow.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RStrain56 said:

Hahaha, if only this thread had happened a couple weeks ago, emoji1787.png

I am only aware of it as my buddy has a Trailboss himself and has a 40 series.  Says he can't hear the exhaust over the tires and I'd be inclined to believe it.  They are not quiet :)

5 hours ago, Rob Mugs said:

I am only aware of it as my buddy has a Trailboss himself and has a 40 series.  Says he can't hear the exhaust over the tires and I'd be inclined to believe it.  They are not quiet :)

You should hear the territory MT tires on the AT4 carbonpro. I wonder if I replace just the muffler with a borla attak and keep everything else on the exhaust stock,  will I hear it over the tires?