In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

I have a 2016 CCSB 5.3L 6L80 4x4. Just recently I started noticing small spots under mine. I can't quite see where it's dripping from as it is somewhere above the plastic skid plate. It appears to only be right in the center and from the rear of skid plate. Obviously I know I will eventually need to remove it to check further but wanted to gets some thoughts first.

The fluid appears to be a clear oily fluid. Trans fluid is red so that's not it but I did check trans level anyway. It doesn't appear to be motor oil and a check of level shows that's fine as well. Coolant checks out too. I looked at the brake fluid and that also is full. I did recently have the brake booster changed out under warranty as it was doing the hard braking occasionally. It shifts fine, no overheating, slows down when braking, and steers just fine as well.

The fluid appears to be dripping just above at the very back of the plastic skid plate. I believe that's about where the torque converter bolts up to the back of engine. I tried looking from above but can't see any issues. My nose is stuffed up right now so I'm not sure if it has an odor.

As I do have extended warranty, I will most likely let the dealer handle it but I figured I would ask first to see if someone might have some idea of where this might be coming from. 

You're sure it's not condensate from the evaporator?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Obviously I know I will eventually need to remove it to check further 

4 hours ago, m3n00b said:

You're sure it's not condensate from the evaporator?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

No, I don't think it is. I blotted up some of it on the ground and it is very similar to brake fluid. It has a similar smell. I popped the hood again and stuck my head in there. It could now smell brake fluid. I did see something that doesn't quite look right also. The hose that runs down from brake master to front left lower side of engine has a fitting on it. That fitting also has what looks like duct tape on it. The fitting is dry so I know that's not where the leak is. I know that there is aluminum faced insulation all around engine compartment but this really appears to be duct tape. I am including 2 photos of it. The top one is a close up of the fitting. The bottom one is a little further out and I circled the fitting. Does this look normal to anyone? I am original owner and any engine work that has been done to it has been done by the same dealer. So it looks like it will be heading back to the dealer very soon to get checked out...

20210403_143030.jpg

20210403_143039.jpg

44 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

Looks normal to me.

Ok, good to know. I wasn't sure as I never paid attention to this before.

I have a 7 a.m. appointment tomorrow morning at a local Chevy dealer and will let them figure out what's going on. Since I have the Amynta protection plan, it best to probably let Chevy diagnose it. I will update once they let me know.

I got a call back from dealer and he didn't go into a lot of detail but said there is a crack in the front differential housing and there's a pretty good leak. I asked how that could have happened. He said there was no evidence that it was damaged but didn't have a reason why. The good news is that it will be covered under my extended protection plan. The bad news is that at least one of the parts is on backorder and no idea when it will become available... But the plan also provides a rental for me so I'm not completely grounded.

• Like 2