Anyone Mount a Camper on 21 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Yet?

I'm about to hopefully in June.  My truck is a 2021 Silverado 2500HD Crewcab, Std Bed, Duramax, LT. I have a Nucamp Cirrus 620 on order and hope to take delivery then. Would like to learn from others how your electrical system is set up if you have a camper.  My disclaimer is I don't have the camper yet, but I'm prepping as much as I can for it. I just don't want to mess anything up electrical or have a wiring harness cut into without understanding why. I just don't get the sense the RV Dealer is versed in knowing the newness of my truck, it's electrical system and how that integrates into a new camper and set up that has just come out. Other than literally plug and go.

My 2500HD has a 7 way connection (5th wheel option) on a cargo bed sidewall. The camper plugs into that for power and charging.

Wondering about:

When the camper is plugged into the truck and the truck is running, how does the alternator provide proper voltage for the camper to recharge the camper batteries and truck batteries? (2 Lion UT1300 Lithium batteries in camper)

What is needed to regulate charging the batteries properly from the truck alternator? 

Do I need a DC to DC Convertor? 

What is needed to add a solar port and portable solar panel to the electrical system?

Do I need a voltage regulator or mgt system for 2 Lion UT1300 Lithium batteries that are in the camper?

I'm not even sure of the right questions to ask... but...

What am I missing?

Common sense tells me as awesome as the truck is, something is missing that could potentially mess up the truck or camper's electrical.  So wondering if anyone else has insights and suggestions of what to take into account. Open to any knowledge and wisdom you can offer.

Thanks so much.

7 hours ago, tortiseshell said:

I'm about to hopefully in June.  My truck is a 2021 Silverado 2500HD Crewcab, Std Bed, Duramax, LT. I have a Nucamp Cirrus 620 on order and hope to take delivery then. Would like to learn from others how your electrical system is set up if you have a camper.  My disclaimer is I don't have the camper yet, but I'm prepping as much as I can for it. I just don't want to mess anything up electrical or have a wiring harness cut into without understanding why. I just don't get the sense the RV Dealer is versed in knowing the newness of my truck, it's electrical system and how that integrates into a new camper and set up that has just come out. Other than literally plug and go.

My 2500HD has a 7 way connection (5th wheel option) on a cargo bed sidewall. The camper plugs into that for power and charging.

Wondering about:

When the camper is plugged into the truck and the truck is running, how does the alternator provide proper voltage for the camper to recharge the camper batteries and truck batteries? (2 Lion UT1300 Lithium batteries in camper)

What is needed to regulate charging the batteries properly from the truck alternator? 

Do I need a DC to DC Convertor? 

What is needed to add a solar port and portable solar panel to the electrical system?

Do I need a voltage regulator or mgt system for 2 Lion UT1300 Lithium batteries that are in the camper?

I'm not even sure of the right questions to ask... but...

What am I missing?

Common sense tells me as awesome as the truck is, something is missing that could potentially mess up the truck or camper's electrical.  So wondering if anyone else has insights and suggestions of what to take into account. Open to any knowledge and wisdom you can offer.

Thanks so much.

Well dont have a truck mounted camper but have had bumper pulled trailers and here is some insight.  I think you might be over thinking it some.  The other part might be to understand how the trailer works and what requirement it needs to power it.  But these things are built to go on trucks and my confident assumption is it should be plug and play or may have some minor tweaks that may be needed.

I can tell you with past trailers once it is plugged into the truck using the 7 pin the batteries start charging, some trailers might need a switch flicked etc but in general that is how it works.  Just like a car battery getting charged, which really needs you going like 35mph or faster to get a good charge I am assuming the trailer batteries will be the same way.  Most trailer systems work both on 12v and 120 v or have a way to take 120 and step it down to 12 v, and they all have converters.  A truck will never be as good at charging as plugging it in.  Also things like fridges probably would run on propane and things like AC and other big power draws either may not work or work for long on battery use.  Things may have changed in tech but running the trailer off batteries even connected to the truck is really short term solution or for small power draws,  things like AC, Fridge, Microwave, maybe even furnace just arent designed to work on batteries and if they do for that long.  The bottom line is depending on use you will probably have to think about some form of power generation if what your doing does not have shore power.

If your trailer requires you hacking into the wiring system I would want to know what it is going.  But like I said I would assume this trailer will jus tplug in.

Edited by nards444

Don’t have the answers to how to mount and connect the camper. I have a 35’ TT. As for the lithium batteries, given the size and capacity, you’ll want a converter / charger to maintain them. I use a Xantrex Freedom XC 2000 with bluetooth panel. I have 440ah from my 4 6v AGM batteries. The xantrex charges them quickly (up to 80 amps). The limiting step in charging is your weakest link. For example, I have a 50 amp RV and when plugged into a 50 amp pole, I can send that all through to the batteries. When using my 4000 watt generator that is a hybrid inverter generator with 30 amp plug, I can send about 30 amps. My truck though, only sends a trickle charge. I’ve never tested the voltage but my guess is 5 amps or something low. If I used my truck to charge when batteries are at 50%, I’d need to drive around for a few days... with solar, you need a charge controller to convert the energy to AC, go through your converter and charge the batteries. With enough panels (400 - 600 watts) you can send 20-30 amps plus in peak sun light.

I boondock a lot, so the advantage of having all that is I can run all my outlets, TVs, microwave, coffee maker, heater (winter camp in high elevation), fridges, etc. for 1-4 days without plugging into shore power or running my generator depending on usage. Do you plan to boondock a lot? How much amperage do you need between charges, etc.? I highly recommend you keep researching all this stuff (as you have), figure out your daily amperage, what your batteries capacity is, what your stock converter can do and then what your plan is to manage all that: generator, solar, etc.. Lots of great info on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so all this is super helpful... thank you!  

Next... does my truck have a DC to DC charger built in from the factory? Is that something that comes with the 2500HD as std? I can't tell from any of the material from the dealer.

The truck I bought has somewhat of a trailer package... wiring, brake controller.  But I don't know how the alternator is set up and if a DC to DC charger is needed.

One suggestion is to add a RedArc DC to DC charger to protect the alternator, control voltage to the camper lithium batteries and manage as a solar controller for a portable solar panel. 

Thoughts? 

2 hours ago, tortiseshell said:

Ok so all this is super helpful... thank you!  

Next... does my truck have a DC to DC charger built in from the factory? Is that something that comes with the 2500HD as std? I can't tell from any of the material from the dealer.

The truck I bought has somewhat of a trailer package... wiring, brake controller.  But I don't know how the alternator is set up and if a DC to DC charger is needed.

One suggestion is to add a RedArc DC to DC charger to protect the alternator, control voltage to the camper lithium batteries and manage as a solar controller for a portable solar panel. 

Thoughts? 

NO I dont think so,  that 7 way plug runs power through it, but like mentioned before the amps are small,  think plugging in your cell to your truck and takes twice the time to charge, although that would be a DC to AC converter.

Think you need to lay out what you what you are wanting to do.  The truck as it sits will provide some juice and charging but nothing to write home on.  If you just haul to the campsite and plug in, I dont think there is any thinking required.  Going off the grid you will need some options.

Yes, most of my stuff is boondocking, off grid and ski parking lots. Sometimes power is available at ski areas. But I run with the assumption 110v is not available.

I called Lion Batteries and they were super helpful.  Their suggestion is to add a RedArc DC to DC Convertor (BCDC1225D) to protect the alternator, control proper charging levels to the lithiums and handle controlling a plugged in solar panel. It pretty much handles all the basic tasks.  

As usual the more I dig the more i uncover.  I appreciate what you share here and want to share what I learned from Lion.  Thank you all for your help.

If you got thoughts, please share em :)

There is a truck camper forum called wanderthewest.com that has a subforum dedicated to exactly this subject with lots of active, helpful members, and lots of existing threads that get into the questions you are asking.  I would suggest checking that out. 

I'm prepping to install a new camper on my about-to-be-delivered 3500HD long bed and will immediately be fitting the camper with a 200 amp-hour LiFePO battery, solar panels, and a DC to DC charger.  That forum has been very helpful for my decisions on what to buy and how to do the installation. 

I'm in the same boat as you, ordered a Lance 855s that will be completed 4/21 for pickup early May. I also have been trying to get as much Battery and Solar work done before I get it so I can have it ready ASAP. Couple of things I have found that changed my path are below and some links that helped me out.

- I ended up going with 3 - 100ah SOK Lithium Batteries

- DC to DC will work great, I decided to go Victron Multiplus 2k Inverter for everything instead since I have an Onan

- One thing to remember, the camper charger needs to have a Lithium capability for the higher amp requirements

- For 200ah Lion's the Solar recomendation will be 400w, mine is 600w and no way I can get that much on the roof

- Check out Will Prowse on YouTube, he covers everything or his website will

- I also liked the information on this site: https://www.explorist.life/

Craig