Tranny Cooler Protector

For those looking for high quality transmission cooler protection in our front bumpers, I recently installed one made by Mountains 2 Metal. I am very impressed. They are Made in the USA, powder coated over stainless, have multiple designs available for GMC's or Chevy's (or your own custom design or logo can be sent to them to be cut), and are very easily installed all from the front.

I know there are concerns with these decreasing the airflow to our cooler and increasing tranny temps. I installed this a few months ago and have not noticed any increase on my tranny temp on my CTS2...towing or not. The individual openings are a little more on the larger side, but I believe this allows for the more air flow - keeping the tranny happy. M2Ms protection is better than nothing at all - that big giant open hole in our bumpers!!!

Here's a couple pics...  

InkedM2M(2)_LI.jpg

InkedM2M(1)_LI.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

Yup, anyone who has a tranny cooler; I highly recommend getting a cover of any type. It's only a matter of time before you take a rock into the cooler and your gonna be replacing it. Or worse, replacing your transmission.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Adding an M2M grill was the second 'mod' I made to my L5P. The first was ditching those shitty Rancho's for Bilsteins.

• Like 1

Update: This definitely saved my tranny cooler. Recently, I was driving on the freeway - when I saw a few tumbleweeds in the distance rolling towards my direction of travel. Not thinking much of it, they are lightweight, mostly air, tumbleweeds. As luck would have it, our paths intersected at the same time. I couldn't really avoid them due to traffic on the left and they already crossed the shoulder and were directly in front of me. As one slowly rolled just prior to our "meeting," I saw the base and there was the relative large stem. When we hit, it sounded like my bumper and lower valence got ripped off. The wife was reading her iPad (or probably shopping on Amazon) and she yelled, What the f*** did you just hit or run over! It scared the you know what out of her. I told her it was tumbleweed. She didn't believe me. I wouldn't have either - as loud as it was. I also figured it had to scratch the painted bumper cover. 

I immediately started watching my tranny and engine temps (both pids happen to be selected on my CTS2). Both remained normal. All seemed good. We stopped about an hour later for lunch.

The stem of a tumbleweed was stuck in the M2M tranny cooler protector. It went through one of the openings, but stopped about an inch shy of the cooler. Another smaller stem was lodged on the bottom between the protector and bumper plastic. The protector used to have a slight arch...to followed the contour of the bumper opening. Now it's straight - slightly bent in. Not a big deal. It's omething I notice because I know what it used to look like - nobody else would really notice. But no broken installation clips - it is still very rigid...

Wow, a damn tumbleweed bent a piece of stainless steel...

But, consider what would have more than likely happened if I didn't have this protector!!!

Thank you Mountains 2 Metal for making a great product!!!

Oh, and not one scratch either on the bumper. I couldn't believe it...     

• Like 1