18 6L80 Fluid Change

6 hours ago, bayouguy71 said:

Well, I asked my dealer this very question and she was happy to give me basically the same cost as if they were providing the fluid AND then proceeded to tell me my powertrain warranty would be void by not using GM fluids.

Actually it will not. Magnuson Moss Act.  But hey, nearly everyone folds like a paper doll. He's a clip of that act: 

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions

In general, tie-in sales provisions are prohibited. A tie-in sales provision requires a purchaser of a warranted product to buy a particular item or service from a specified company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive the benefits of the warranty. For example, the following illustrates a prohibited tie-in sales provision:

In order to keep your new X Brand Lawnmower warranty in effect, you must use genuine X Brand Lawnmower Blades. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Y Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

https://www.findlaw.com/consumer/consumer-transactions/warranty-laws-and-the-magnuson-moss-warranty-act-.html#:~:text=The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act%2C passed by Congress in 1975,detailed information about warranty coverage.

Next will come the flood of forum members telling you it will cost you more than it is worth. You file then proof is on them....not you....

Usually just mentioning Magnuson Moss will move them from this unlawful practice. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, bayouguy71 said:

Well, I asked my dealer this very question and she was happy to give me basically the same cost as if they were providing the fluid AND then proceeded to tell me my powertrain warranty would be void by not using GM fluids.

Yes this is common and I was told the same thing.  One has to understand that they can't deny warranty because you used a different manufactures fluid. Every vehicle I have owned has had AMSOIL transmission fluid installed right away.  Last vehicle I just sold, my 2002 Silverado had 200k on it and the used oil analysis came back good on the transmission fluid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Actually it will not. Magnuson Moss Act.  But hey, nearly everyone folds like a paper doll. He's a clip of that act: 

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions

In general, tie-in sales provisions are prohibited. A tie-in sales provision requires a purchaser of a warranted product to buy a particular item or service from a specified company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive the benefits of the warranty. For example, the following illustrates a prohibited tie-in sales provision:

In order to keep your new X Brand Lawnmower warranty in effect, you must use genuine X Brand Lawnmower Blades. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Y Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

https://www.findlaw.com/consumer/consumer-transactions/warranty-laws-and-the-magnuson-moss-warranty-act-.html#:~:text=The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act%2C passed by Congress in 1975,detailed information about warranty coverage.

Next will come the flood of forum members telling you it will cost you more than it is worth. You file then proof is on them....not you....

Usually just mentioning Magnuson Moss will move them from this unlawful practice. 

Certainly using the wrong fluid would be a reason to void.  Say, using Dexron III where VI is specified.

Wouldn't "wrong fluid" be anything not "rated" as Dexron VI approved?

At this point I think I am going to get my fluid of choice and either take it to someone local or make a mess in my garage.

I am not a fan of all the fenagling (sp) to get the pan completely off but I am sure it looks worse than it really is.

Do I even need to pull the pan completely to get it cleaned up and filter changed?

I will hopefully be flipping the pill this weekend which should make the exchange portion a little easier for me should I choose to run the pump and get a much out as possible the first change.

1 hour ago, bayouguy71 said:

At this point I think I am going to get my fluid of choice and either take it to someone local or make a mess in my garage.

I am not a fan of all the fenagling (sp) to get the pan completely off but I am sure it looks worse than it really is.

Do I even need to pull the pan completely to get it cleaned up and filter changed?

I will hopefully be flipping the pill this weekend which should make the exchange portion a little easier for me should I choose to run the pump and get a much out as possible the first change.

You can drop the pan down enough to get the filter out without taking it off but it isn't any fun that is for sure.  I like taking it down so I can clean it up and the mating surfaces well along with the magnet.  Plus it makes taking the filter gasket up in the valve body easier to get out if the pan isn't there.

Yes, if the fluid isn't dexron VI then it is the wrong fluid.  That is why you make sure it has dexron VI on the container as one of the specifications.  AMSOIL's ATL fluid meets/exceeds that specification.

1 hour ago, bayouguy71 said:

I don't think it is that bad.  You can pull down on the exhaust carefully and/or push the transmission or transfer case up.  You have people on youtube doing this on their driveway in less than ideal conditions.  I'll report back whenever I get around to it.

4 hours ago, bayouguy71 said:

Correct.  If you dumped Toyota WS in there because you had some on the shelf and then you ran into an issue, you'd be in doodoo (especially warranty).  Any fluid that is Dexron 6 approved (licensed or not) will work.  

• Like 2

Case of Redline D6 and a filter ordered along with a big oil catch pan.

where can I find the torque spec and pattern for the pan?

May as well just flip the pill and do the whole thing at the same time while I am having fun.

13 minutes ago, bayouguy71 said:

Case of Redline D6 and a filter ordered along with a big oil catch pan.

where can I find the torque spec and pattern for the pan?

May as well just flip the pill and do the whole thing at the same time while I am having fun.

The pan bolts are 80 INCH POUNDS.  Videos I have watched show them starting in the middle and work their way outwards to help "stretch" the gasket rather than bind it.

Edited by BlaineBug

• 2 weeks later...

Flipped the pill, trans pan drop with filter and a fluid exchange to Redline D6.

Pumping out with the line on the radiator wasn't too bad 

Definitely learned a couple of tricks for next time and by then I think I will invest in a pan with a drain plug.

Always a good day when its all back together with no leaks 🙂

• Like 4

First chance to take a decent drive and ambient temps outside are about 70.

Mixed driving from city to 55-60

Trans never got over 140 while driving and hit 150 after I let it idle for a minute or two when I reached my destination.

I am pleased.

• Like 3

I just went ahead and swapped all of my fluids today as well (not the brake fluid.)  Transmission pan drop with a filter change, transfer case drain and refill, and both front and rear differentials as well.

I worked alone and used a pry bar between exhaust and transmission crossmember in combination with a scissor jack.  Just kept turning the jack enough until I was able to remove the pan, and then I relieved the stress, and then did the same procedure again upon reassembly.

Between transmission pan and transfer case I used 2 full gallons of Dexron VI.  I did not modify the transmission thermostat or flush the cooler lines or anything else.  This was simply a pan drop, pan clean, filter swap, and refill.

Also the transmission filter o-ring isn't that big of a deal.  Get a screw driver between the transmission case and the seal and twist, and then use pliers to pull it out.  Then find a socket that fits the outer diameter of the new seal and carefully hammer it in until the metal ring is flush with the case.  New filter will slide and pop right in after that!

My mileage is right at about 40,300 so I believe that this was a really good time to swap all of the fluids.  Earlier than called for but that can't hurt at all.  100,000 miles on the original transmission fluid is too long, as I do believe that is the "recommended" service.

I wasn't having any problem or issues prior but wanted to keep things that way which is why I did this.

Edited by BlaineBug
  • Like 1

I'm in the process of getting all my fluids changed on both of my 18's.

I priced out Amsoil transmission fluid and by the time I buy the fluid and filter I'm over $150. I can have the dealer do it while I wait for $219. 

I'm going to have them do the Transmission fluid and filters on both trucks. I'll do the rest myself. I ordered the 75w90 gear lube for the diffs on Amazon.

The rear calls for 75w85 but I can't see the difference.  Anyone? Grumpy?

I'm putting a new rear differential cover on my lifted truck at the same time. 

I'll pickup a gallon of Delco dexron6 for the transfer cases at the dealer. 

So around $275 total for each truck.

BTW I also got some Mobil1 0w20 in the 5 qt jugs for $22.37 on Amazon too. 

Ac delco PF63E filters on eBay for around 4 bucks each.

For that I'll keep changing oil every 3000 miles

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

I'm in the process of getting all my fluids changed on both of my 18's.

I priced out Amsoil transmission fluid and by the time I buy the fluid and filter I'm over $150. I can have the dealer do it while I wait for $219. 

I'm going to have them do the Transmission fluid and filters on both trucks. I'll do the rest myself. I ordered the 75w90 gear lube for the diffs on Amazon.

The rear calls for 75w85 but I can't see the difference.  Anyone? Grumpy?

I'm putting a new rear differential cover on my lifted truck at the same time. 

I'll pickup a gallon of Delco dexron6 for the transfer cases at the dealer. 

So around $275 total for each truck.

BTW I also got some Mobil1 0w20 in the 5 qt jugs for $22.37 on Amazon too. 

Ac delco PF63E filters on eBay for around 4 bucks each.

For that I'll keep changing oil every 3000 miles

75w-90 will be fine.  You got a good start on both trucks.

• Like 2