Phone GPS in truck

You need to make sure you have the right radio. If you look at the label in your glove box on RPO codes, do you have I06? What year and model is your truck and what size screen do you have?

Edited by mikeyk101
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kbert1171 said:

2016 Silverado LT. 8" screen, I believe. 

Phone is a Samsung Galaxy S10+, so Android. 

And the code seems to be IO5. 

Yes, either the I05 or I06 will have wired Android Auto and Apple Carplay.
The I06 has factory Nav.
I believe there was a thread here a while ago regarding this.

I have Android Auto installed already. And I can hear the directions through the speakers in the truck when using Google maps, but I don't have anything on the screen of the truck, just the phone. Which sucks. And this is through Bluetooth. I've never plugged in the phone to the truck, and honestly, I don't know where I would, except through the USB port in the center council.

Maybe it simply won't work with the radio I have. Idk. 

54 minutes ago, Kbert1171 said:

Where exactly do I plug it in? 

It doesn't mirror your phone.
Apple Carplay and Android Auto only show limited apps such as navigation, messaging and phone calls (others, also, but the idea is to keep your eyes on the road).
If you want to mirror your phone, you're in a different arena I don't recommend.
I plug mine into the USB in the console (bench seat configuration) but, it may work from other USB ports, as well.
I haven't tried that out - I'm good with my set up.

Edited by MikeBMW

Idk. My sister and brother-in-law say their screens show their navigation when they use their phones navigation app. I was just wondering if mine did as well. I'd rather keep my eyes on the road, as opposed to looking at my phone for directions, instead of the large screen in the dash. (Which is the ONLY thing I want. I could care less about the other crap. Only navigation.)

Whatever. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Peace. 

A couple things, I also have a 2016. Specifically with Silverados and Sierras, the only way to get Android Auto on your radio screen is through plugging your phone into USB in the console like others mentioned. But there also could be another issue if you find that doesn't work. IIRC, Android Auto was first introduced with the  2016 models. However many of the early 2016 needed a software update to allow Android Auto to work. Mine needed the software update. It's not something you can do yourself and has to be done by the dealer. It also takes a while to do. In my case, I think it was almost 3 hours to do. The rub though is that back then, they did it for free because it was advertised as coming with it. I have heard that if it wasn't done then, you will be charged for the software update. 

Edited by mikeyk101

17 hours ago, Kbert1171 said:

Idk. My sister and brother-in-law say their screens show their navigation when they use their phones navigation app. I was just wondering if mine did as well. I'd rather keep my eyes on the road, as opposed to looking at my phone for directions, instead of the large screen in the dash. (Which is the ONLY thing I want. I could care less about the other crap. Only navigation.)

Whatever. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Peace. 

Yes, the Nav screen of your phone (maps) will show on the infotainment screen but the phone is not mirrored in the sense that whatever is on your phone will show up on the infotainment screen - and, the selections of your phone apps need to be made from the selections on the infotainment screen.
I will reiterate: Android Auto and Apply Carplay are not true mirroring avenues for phone content except for select apps that will allow you to keep your eyes on the road, put your phone away, and use the infotainment screen in your truck.

You must connect you phone to the truck using an USB cable. You can use your charging cable if you have one. You can connect it to any USB port. Inside the glove box or inside the middle seat storage area. I don't know about size of the screen, but I have an 8" screen. Your phone will connect through Bluetooth for audio, but not video. Future trucks will have wireless NAV support. Some GM cars already connect through wireless. It also depends on the BT version your truck and phone have. Most likely is your truck... GM treats us truck owners like the armpit of customers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lovecars, thanks. Yep, I get the audio, just no video. Sucks. You'd think for as much as they gouge us for these things, they'd be better. Oh, well. 

Guess I'll trade it for a F-150. They have what I want. Better truck anyway. 

Make sure you have Android Auto installed. Then go to Settings on the phone and in the search enter Android Auto and it will give you all the options. The sound comes on because all sound from the phone plays through Bluetooth. So because the sound plays doesn't mean you have it Android Auto installed and configured correctly. I it still doesn't work? the reinstall the Android App from the play store.

Normally the first time you run it, it configures itself to your truck.

I have a 2017 and I have a Samsung S10+ and works perfectly.

I also connect it to my sons Suburban and it works also and it installed itself on his truck also.