Picked it Up here is my thoughts

2021 Chevy Silverado 2500 LT,  Diesel, Midnight edition.  Going to throw out some initial thoughts,  dont take it as I hate the truck, but I always like to critique some things up front, just to help other buyers and sometimes I find that guys can find me work arounds or maybe I missed something.  But I do like the truck

-Truck rides and feels better than expected last HD truck I had was a 2012 and its a lot better than the 2012.

-I thought these trucks were ugly at first, but its growing on me,  I feel the body match grill makes a world of a difference. 

-Love the lighting function that the truck acts like it own spot light with the mirrors and such

-The rear storage seat option is definitely worth it,  definitely get it

-Midnight edition is sweet

-love the headlights

-Tows awesome, so far went on a 600 mile trip with a 5-6k load

-the multiple hooks in the bed are nice, along with how they just make the bed bigger on the inside

-exhaust brake works good

Now things I dont like

-Not a fan of the power tailgate, there is no latch just a button, with the snow and ice this will be a problem(not brand specific really)

-Bed lights,  this here is probably the dumbest thing, there is no button in the bed for the lights like ford, and yes I know its in the cab,  but if I am outside already I dont want to have to get into the truck to turn it on

-I know I got the LT version but like others have said in other forums the interior is plain,  im not looking for a Denali interior,  but this truck is a step back overall than my Ford XLT was and that was a 2018 and really equates to a 2017 Ford SD . 

-Convenience 2 was not in the order bank when I ordered and that may have solved some problems, but with a 66k truck not to have lighted  visor mirrors, wireless charging and car play is dumb

-Gauge cluster is basic and is no different than my 2014 silverado.  I am almost 6 foot and with the location of the digital screen and the gauges its just hard to see all of them,  layout and viewing angles should be better.  Digital screen on the cluster is basic and is clumsy to thumb through, screen reminds of  something from 90s MAC system

-back up camera is not that crisp compared to other older vehicles Ive had, and distorts pretty bad at night

-this truck is tall,  when you open the hood there is no way to close it unless you move to the side and close it,  needs a strap

-Display(radio) screen turns off and just is black, with small numbers for a clock.  Could have a bowtie there or something,  might be able to customize and play around with it some. 

-The bed view camera in the rear view is completely useless at night, you can't see anything at night

-Passenger window is auto down but not auto up. 

-Fog lights must be turned on every single time,  vs other vehicles once you turn them on they always turn on when the lights come on

-No sun glass holder on the ceiling

-brakes take a lot of effort and are soft

-The gear shifter is hollow plastic and has a lot of play in it and looks like it vibrates going down the road

-Passenger tow mirror creates a huge blind spot when looking right in certain situations.  I get this is a tow mirror and have had them before,  but its dangerous. 

- The GM app is worthless after a month, and have to pay monthly after that to get any functionality

- Mirrors are auto close and open, but no option to make them fold in or out upon shutting off or turning on like other brands

-Truck is tall and hard to get into the bed even with the steps on the bumper and with a tonneau on,  new tailgate should be on the 22 or at least an option

- The bucket seats middle console area is just a large area for junk to get thrown into,  nothing to divide the area or to enclose anything.  They put the usb/ connection points higher up near the radio instead of hidden in compartment vs down in the console on other brands, so wires hang all over if something is plugged in

- The arm rest storage is big, but no tray or anything is provided.  You have to pay 50 bucks to get a tray for inside of that

-GM doesnt offer a supplemental heater at start up like ford does

Love the truck so far just somethings Ive noticed right off the bat

Edited by nards444

I had a 2012 2500 LTZ as well.  Definitely rides smoother, still a 2500, but smoother.

Rear storage is nice but I got rid of half of it for my sub box. :)

I purchased Northsky Blue with Z71 sport package beginning of April for the color matching specifically as I agree they look way better.  I almost did not get a 2021 because of this.  The constraint went into effect knocking out Safety Package and you could not order sport package without it.  Took 3 tries until I was able to lock on one that had not been claimed.  Traveled from Va Beach, Va to Spencerport, NY to get it.   Pretty much been non-existent since then. 

I like the power gate but do wish there was just a "I want to manually open it" option. 

Don't care one wit for lighted mirror (don't think I have ever even looked in the mirror on my 2012) or wireless charging. 

Im 6 foot exactly and have no issue seeing the gauges or the info screen and scrolling though it.

Have not noticed camera much as I still do not use it all that often even though I have had one forever. 

My kids like it as they now have heated rear seats and more room in back then my 2012 as the cab is noticeably bigger. 

Both side and bumper steps are awesome as I did not have either on my 2012. 

Definitely happy with mine. 

20210424_093622.jpg

Edited by Knighti2

I have a loaded 2019 Ford Raptor and I like the truck.  The interior is nice and the seats are great.  That said, I'd rather drive the 2020 LTZ than the Raptor because it's just more!  The interior gets a lot of negative reviews but I like it - everything is within reach.  Knobs and switches are easier to use when you're bouncing down the road in a heavy duty pickup than trying to touch an icon on a display screen.  I'm 6 ft and I can see the gauges fine - you may need to adjust your seat.   I can also reach up and pull the hood down with the latch wire to close it.   I also have the heads-up display and that's one thing the Raptor does not have.  The heads-up display is customizable and is a super feature on any vehicle.  I find the view on the Chevy's camera display better than the Ford's and offers more views.  Tailgates on both trucks have no handle so they are a wash there, but yanking on frozen doors and gates can lead to damage anyway.   I try to keep rubber parts lubed with silicon to prevent parts freezing in the winter.  Don't know about the LT but the LTZ always shows something on the display screen.

As far as looks go, both trucks are striking and look good from any angle.  The diesel is cheaper to drive right now because premium fuel is $0.54 more per gallon than diesel.  Both get about the same mileage in mixed driving.

As for bed lights, the Raptor has a switch near the tailgate that's convenient but not very robust.  They fail often and are a common complaint on the Ford forums.

13 hours ago, unit said:

I have a loaded 2019 Ford Raptor and I like the truck.  The interior is nice and the seats are great.  That said, I'd rather drive the 2020 LTZ than the Raptor because it's just more!  The interior gets a lot of negative reviews but I like it - everything is within reach.  Knobs and switches are easier to use when you're bouncing down the road in a heavy duty pickup than trying to touch an icon on a display screen.  I'm 6 ft and I can see the gauges fine - you may need to adjust your seat.   I can also reach up and pull the hood down with the latch wire to close it.   I also have the heads-up display and that's one thing the Raptor does not have.  The heads-up display is customizable and is a super feature on any vehicle.  I find the view on the Chevy's camera display better than the Ford's and offers more views.  Tailgates on both trucks have no handle so they are a wash there, but yanking on frozen doors and gates can lead to damage anyway.   I try to keep rubber parts lubed with silicon to prevent parts freezing in the winter.  Don't know about the LT but the LTZ always shows something on the display screen.

As far as looks go, both trucks are striking and look good from any angle.  The diesel is cheaper to drive right now because premium fuel is $0.54 more per gallon than diesel.  Both get about the same mileage in mixed driving.

As for bed lights, the Raptor has a switch near the tailgate that's convenient but not very robust.  They fail often and are a common complaint on the Ford forums.

I would say the layout of the interior works well,  my point was its just dated really compared to whats out there.  Feels like the same thing I had in my 2014 silverado.  Like I said dont take it as I hate it,  they could have done better.   As for the bed light switch Ive known over 10 different truck including two of my own where that switch never had a problem,  I take online complaints as just that online.  But I always had tonneau covers so that maybe helped,  none the less not having a switch is dumb.

As for cameras the quality is on par with a 2016 dodge I have and feel like its less clear than the 14 silverado I had.  What I found out last night is the bed view camera is worthless at night nothing shows up.  As for views and such you might be right, but I was mainly referring to back up cam quality. 

Its hard to compare whole trims like an LTZ to a raptor or vice versa,  I am more or less commenting on individual options like camera to camera.  etc. 

All good points - I believe this truck simply matches the 2017+ SuperDuty in features/comfort but doesn't exceed it in anyway.

The gauge cluster works, but it's pathetic for a 2020 truck.   Looks cheap.  The 4" screen feels like the 2014 K2 all over again.

GM definitely needs to add a way to turn on the bed lights from the bed.

I'm real tempted to go back to Ford for another SuperDuty based on features and options alone.  Especially since the 2022 SuperDuty has a refreshed interior.  

I think convenience pack II would solve the back up cam problems as well. I have a '19 Custom TB and the camera is just absolute crap at night. Trading for a '21 LT TB and specifically found one with the Convenience Pack II to get the HD back up camera.

15 hours ago, AtomicYJ said:

I think convenience pack II would solve the back up cam problems as well. I have a '19 Custom TB and the camera is just absolute crap at night. Trading for a '21 LT TB and specifically found one with the Convenience Pack II to get the HD back up camera.

Whats funny is the CONV 2 package wasnt in the order bank till after I ordered,  your right that might have solved some of the problems. 

16 hours ago, wesd said:

All good points - I believe this truck simply matches the 2017+ SuperDuty in features/comfort but doesn't exceed it in anyway.

The gauge cluster works, but it's pathetic for a 2020 truck.   Looks cheap.  The 4" screen feels like the 2014 K2 all over again.

GM definitely needs to add a way to turn on the bed lights from the bed.

I'm real tempted to go back to Ford for another SuperDuty based on features and options alone.  Especially since the 2022 SuperDuty has a refreshed interior.  

It seems the HD trucks in all brands are always a few years behind the half tons.  Like I said this interior is a step below an 18 XLT F150 I had.  I get that I didnt order LTZ,  but your talking almost a 70k truck,  they could be doing better with it.  Exterior of the truck is great.  Buddy just bought an AT4 and we came to the same conlusion on that,  it was a step down inside from his 17 Dodge.

Like you said this is just like my 2014 on the inside

Edited by nards444

the HD camera in conv 2 pkg is better....i have had both in last 3 years but you shouldnt have too is whole point...Ram has one system, idk about Ford

make all the systems the same just offer more angles or features for trim levels.....the backup camera at night is a joke on a vehicle that costs as much as these do i totally agree...

i still use my own eyes to park as i am just used to it

21 hours ago, nards444 said:

Whats funny is the CONV 2 package wasnt in the order bank till after I ordered,  your right that might have solved some of the problems. 

I don't that about GM. Advertising a package you can't order. Tried ordering back in January and they were advertising Advanced Trailering, not available for ordering. Went away for a couple months, back on the website, still can't order it. Luckily found a built truck that checks most of my boxes with Advanced Trailering, hoping the buying process goes smoothly

I understand the hard to explain but I don't give one whit about Ford or Ram.  I don't like either of their trucks and never have.   I have owned lots of different cars from different manufacturers. While some interiors are more upscale I guess they have never been something I thought a ton about. 

They are either functional or not to me.   Its why I asked why you didn't like it.  Just saying that manufacturer is better really isn't saying much.  Materials, style, layout, all of these are very subjective.   I purposefully looked a long time for my 2012 LTZ with the aluminum trim instead of wood as I thought the wood interior looked absolutely stupid in a truck (I still do).  

On 5/15/2021 at 9:02 PM, Knighti2 said:

I understand the hard to explain but I don't give one whit about Ford or Ram.  I don't like either of their trucks and never have.   I have owned lots of different cars from different manufacturers. While some interiors are more upscale I guess they have never been something I thought a ton about. 

They are either functional or not to me.   Its why I asked why you didn't like it.  Just saying that manufacturer is better really isn't saying much.  Materials, style, layout, all of these are very subjective.   I purposefully looked a long time for my 2012 LTZ with the aluminum trim instead of wood as I thought the wood interior looked absolutely stupid in a truck (I still do).  

You hit it on the head, if you dont care much you will like the GM interior.   The current interior feels like a cross between my 07 chevy and 14 chevy thats all.   And you have a 10 year old truck, and probably dont understand whats available these days.

If I am going to spend the 60-70k  the interior needs to be top notch thats all i am saying.  And news flash the interior can be functional as well as look the part for a 2021. 

Since you don't seem able to read and comprehend very well. 

***News Flash I have a 2021 2500 LTZ way to read. ***

Take your condescension elsewhere. 

Its functional and looks the part as far as im concerned.  Your the one that says it does not but have never once given a specific answer as to why.