Reference 2021 Silverado LT 4x4 5.3 engine. 7024 miles.  Last night going home, my problems started.  Engine nose, tapping, instrument panel going crazy, loss of power.  Took to the dealership and was advised of the issues discussed in this forum.  Per service advisor, the problem could be as serious as damage to the cam shaft which is quite serious.  Fortunately they provided a loaner and took it right in.  Will follow up once problem is identified and repaired.

I have the same isue as Bruce Stein above. 21 SLT 5.3 10 spd 7700 miles. This morning while driving first heard the engine noise - between a tap and a knock. Then rough idling. Then the Inst Panel went nuts displaying service ESC and other messages. Luckily I was only 2 miles from home. Having GM Roadside Assist come and get it. 

It sounds like I have the same sysmptons as others have mentioned in this tread. I'm assuming either a lifter or valve spring issue. Called dealer and they can't look at it until Monday. They also won't have a loaner for me until Monday. 

I will post updates in this thread as I move along with this issue. 

Edited by DSW1519

I have the same issue with my 2021 Yukon 6.2L.  5,000 miles on the odometer and it's been in twice for lifters and once for head gasket.  I'm pretty convinced that the head gasket blew because they didn't install it correctly during the second lifter repair.

At this point I have no idea how long the truck will last or how I will eventually sell it.  No person in their right mind would buy a used vehicle if they knew the heads have been off 3 times in the first 5K miles.  If those repairs show up on a CARFAX I might as well just sell it for scrap when I get rid of it.  I can pretty much guarantee the engine won't last as long as it usually does because of all the repairs that have been done.  Anybody who runs a history on my truck would never buy it.

Good luck on getting it declared a lemon.  I contacted GM.  They offered me a 100K power train warranty.  I had already purchased the 75K warranty, so that doesn't do me a whole lot of good, but better than nothing.  The only positive thing is it's transferrable.  I called the Better Business Bureau.  They were really nice but told me I don't have a lemon claim because my truck has "only" been in the shop 17 days and it's fixed.  Other states may be different, but in Florida it has to be a persistent problem or in the shop over 30 days to qualify as a lemon.  If they've fixed it by definition it's not a lemon.  Doesn't matter if the value has plummeted to almost nothing.

Dealer just called. Lifter failure. Truck is a 21 5.3 10 spd with 7500 miles. They are going to replace all 16 lifters. No ETA yet on when the parts will be available. Totally pathetic. 

To Flordia Rick. Well your value is nowhere near "next to nothing"  what's trade in 50k? 40k? I'm not understanding why you think it's worth next to nothing? I'll give you 10k for it then? That's $9,999.99 more than next to nothing? 

Edited by Adamace1
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2021 at 11:21 AM, Greystone21 said:

Had my 2021 GMC Sierra SLT 2 wheel drive 5.3L V8 towed to dealership yesterday as one of the lifters is damaged. Not sure of the extent of the damage to engine. Told by service advisor that they have had 4 so far this year and two required complete engine replacements. Very disappointed. Working with my sales advisor to discern options to have GM buy truck back. Very frustrating as i love the truck otherwise. Just don't like the idea that the engine (heart) has had issues already and will always have hyper sensitive concerns going forward. I usually keep my vehicles until at least 100k. Good news is i purchased extended warranty of 7 years or 100k so i should be good but still...really?

Wanted to get this out in the public space to see if this is an on-going issue for other 2021

I had the same problem this pass weekend and Im thinking the same thing about the problem...it is crazy, mine have 7350miles and I love it untill now....This is a serious problem...

On 7/16/2021 at 9:27 AM, DSW1519 said:

I have the same isue as Bruce Stein above. 21 SLT 5.3 10 spd 7700 miles. This morning while driving first heard the engine noise - between a tap and a knock. Then rough idling. Then the Inst Panel went nuts displaying service ESC and other messages. Luckily I was only 2 miles from home. Having GM Roadside Assist come and get it. 

It sounds like I have the same sysmptons as others have mentioned in this tread. I'm assuming either a lifter or valve spring issue. Called dealer and they can't look at it until Monday. They also won't have a loaner for me until Monday. 

I will post updates in this thread as I move along with this issue. 

you are lucky....I was about an hour from my house and had to wait for 5 hours and pay out of pocket because by the time they pick me up the closest dealer was closed and they "cover" up to 25 miles, I was about 47 miles from the dealer closest to my house....and now doing research  and founding out how serious the problem is and 5 or 6 truck like they told me...is crazy...

On 7/16/2021 at 5:22 PM, Florida Rick said:

I have the same issue with my 2021 Yukon 6.2L.  5,000 miles on the odometer and it's been in twice for lifters and once for head gasket.  I'm pretty convinced that the head gasket blew because they didn't install it correctly during the second lifter repair.

At this point I have no idea how long the truck will last or how I will eventually sell it.  No person in their right mind would buy a used vehicle if they knew the heads have been off 3 times in the first 5K miles.  If those repairs show up on a CARFAX I might as well just sell it for scrap when I get rid of it.  I can pretty much guarantee the engine won't last as long as it usually does because of all the repairs that have been done.  Anybody who runs a history on my truck would never buy it.

Good luck on getting it declared a lemon.  I contacted GM.  They offered me a 100K power train warranty.  I had already purchased the 75K warranty, so that doesn't do me a whole lot of good, but better than nothing.  The only positive thing is it's transferrable.  I called the Better Business Bureau.  They were really nice but told me I don't have a lemon claim because my truck has "only" been in the shop 17 days and it's fixed.  Other states may be different, but in Florida it has to be a persistent problem or in the shop over 30 days to qualify as a lemon.  If they've fixed it by definition it's not a lemon.  Doesn't matter if the value has plummeted to almost nothing.

If the vehicle is in and out of the authorized repair shop for repair of one or more different problems for 15 or more cumulative days, the consumer must give written notification of this fact to the manufacturer (not the dealer), by certified, registered or express mail. Check the warranty book or owner’s manual or other written manufacturer supplement for the address given by the manufacturer. A Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form may used for this purpose. Click here for the Instructions and Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form. After the manufacturer’s receipt of the notification, the manufacturer or its authorized service agent must have at least one opportunity to inspect or repair the vehicle.The consumer may be eligible for a purchase price refund or a replacement vehicle if the vehicle is out of service for repair of one or more nonconformities for a cumulative total of 30 or more days.

On 5/11/2021 at 6:08 PM, lapoolboy said:

What is it lately with all this talk of "buy backs"?  Isn't a warranty's purpose to take care of these types of repairable issues?  I imagine automakers have to "buy back" vehicles on rare occasions when there is no other option, but I can't imagine they jump right to buying back a used vehicle just because it has a repairable fault.  What am I missing here?  The powertrain warranty on most (if not all) new cars nowadays exceeds the bumper-to-bumper warranty anyway. 

The issue is that they have no parts to fix and no delivery date for parts. We are currently dealing with the same problem, on a truck with less than nine thousand miles. Under many states lemon laws, if the warranty can’t be serviced in around a six week window the manufacturer may have to buy back the vehicle. 

On 7/19/2021 at 4:19 PM, DSW1519 said:

Dealer just called. Lifter failure. Truck is a 21 5.3 10 spd with 7500 miles. They are going to replace all 16 lifters. No ETA yet on when the parts will be available. Totally pathetic. 

Did you ever get parts for the repair? We were also given no ETA for the parts for repair as of last week. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well you can add My 2021 RST 5.3 to the list of lifter failure.  I was on my way to work this morning started stuttering shaking louder then usual  lifter noise. Then the knocks clunking started and then the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. It’s  at the dealership now fortunately I was able to get a loaner I will update with the findings of my issue.  I requested that all 16 lifters be replaced possibly new engine if needed.  service manager should  said will see what we find…..also said yes we seen a few. 

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: All 16 lifters replace and 1 bent push rod. Truck was at dealership 12 days not bad turn around! 

From what a heard 8500 and under get all new lifters over 8500 get just the side affected, which is BS! 

Will see how long before any other issues come up. 

dealer offered me a buy out + 8000 to trade it…🤔

53 minutes ago, ram1067 said:

UPDATE: All 16 lifters replace and 1 bent push rod. Truck was at dealership 12 days not bad turn around! 

From what a heard 8500 and under get all new lifters over 8500 get just the side affected, which is BS! 

Will see how long before any other issues come up. 

dealer offered me a buy out + 8000 to trade it…🤔

I listen to a radio show called car pro every Saturday. They have a website that offers assistance to vehicle buyers. Trucks and SUVs are going for higher than normal prices now. If you wanted to sell it, it’s worth checking out. They may not be offering your best deal. 

Its interesting the failures take some time to occur.  You would think part defects would show sooner rather than later  My 2021 6.2L just turned 10,000 miles (new 12/20 built 8/20) and no problems so far.