GM Multipro Tailgate Problem

Purchased a GMC 2500HD Denali.  Discovered the centre tailgate, if opened, while a hitch is in place, will get damaged. Thankfully I discovered this problem before any damage.  The dealer made no mention of this problem on delivery or afterwards; but defends GM’s position.
I have now been in contact several times with GM, but as I thought, they just put their heads in the sand and will not recognize this flaw!

It is a shame a very expensive truck, or any truck should have this issue. 
I have read many different views on this issue, but, this is a truck, and it is made for towing, and you should not have to remove the hitch each time to use the full functionality of this tailgate.  I do not expect to remove my trailer and hitch to take advantage of loading the box with goods. Simply ridiculous!

And what if someone else is unaware, and opens the tailgate; now damage on me.

Curt Manufacturing does have a fix.  I have since installed their sensor, which basically adds a harness to bypass the centre tailgate functionality so it will not function if a hitch is in place.  $155 and approx 1 hour to install.  Full instructions and easy to do.  

GM YOU SHOULD BE OFFERING A SOLUTION!  $155 Solution for a very expensive 90k truck. Get real GM.  

LETS HEAR FROM GENERAL MOTORS!

GM half-assed did. If the inner gate is down, the main gate won't  lower, until the inner gate is re-closed.

A person has to take some kind of responsibility in life. One just has look down, before dropping both. Kinda like opening a door, next to a tree, vehicle or garage wall.

• Like 1

This problem has been known and discussed on this forum for over 2 years. I have copied some links below.

There are hitches available that drop below, or stow out of the way for people who do not want to take the hitch out when not in use. It is your choice if you'd rather remove the hitch to use the tailgate feature or not.

Opening a door into a tree, wall or vehicle is just stupidity!  Not a design issue.

Un Attaching part of my load to access another part of the truck is a design flaw. 

This is my first multipro tailgate, so had no previous knowledge of this ongoing issue. 

The drop down hitch, but does not work in my case. 

I  agree with Gary . People can find fault with anything. What happens if you are speeding and the boys in blue catch you, It must be the trucks fault because the design allowed it to go over the speed limit. Take some responsibility for your actions and realize anything made by man is never going to be perfect. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Garry Dagenais said:

Un Attaching part of my load to access another part of the truck is a design flaw. 

You do not have to unattach part of your load to access another part of the truck with the multi pro tailgate. The tailgate will still work like 100% of tailgates in this world. You just can't use it to its fullest extent. Saying it's a design flaw, well, I guess it comes down to the operator.

I have the Carbon Pro with Kicker stereo.   Didn't originally want this option, but only way to get a AT4 6.2L right now.   Stereo connects to the trailer harness wiring plug-ins so I didn't want to use tailgatefix approach of splicing purple wire.  I got the Curt sensor off Amazon for about $100.  Installed in 30 minutes.  Plastic on hitch receiver is light weight, but should be fine for my purposes.  Wiring looks just like OEM.  Plug-n-play.  I am a fan of the multi-pro tailgate.  

I don't understand the complaining about multi-pro.  You never have to open the second stage if you prefer the old style.

2 hours ago, Garry Dagenais said:

Opening a door into a tree, wall or vehicle is just stupidity!  Not a design issue.

This is my first multipro tailgate, so had no previous knowledge of this ongoing issue. 

The drop down hitch, but does not work in my case. 

When you finish towing you take off the hitch, it is common sense, common courtesy and in some places the law (though never really enforced). Either way, this has been covered before multiple times by people whining that is is a design flaw, people don't know what the means. GM knows, it has been called out and even has a sticker. Again, take responsibility for your own actions, remove the hitch or don't open the small tailgate. Better yet use the steps in the bumper which are extremely useful. Can always find someone to trade tailgates with you and you can go back to a regular tailgate. Not sure why grown ups even bring this stuff up, especially if they would just do a quick search on any search engine or forum...

Tyler