2001 Z71 MPG Question

I have a new to me 2001 Z71. 45,000 miles, 5.3/4l60E I think, 3.73 tail gears, 6" lift and 285/75-16 All terrains. The vehicle is all synthetic fluids. I just finished a road trip from Tucson to Prescott and average mileage was 11.6 mpg. There are no posted codes. Any ideas on where to start?   thx   matt

It's lifted with bigger than stock tires. It's not going to get good fuel mileage.

And if you drive 80+ mph like everyone seems to do in Arizona, then even less fuel mileage.

• Like 1

Sounds right. It's got everything going against it. Lifted, big tires, big engine. My 06 with 3.42 gears and stock 265/70/17s only gets 14ish empty. That's why my daily was a Mini cooper 35MPG, and now a Fusion Energi 62MPG.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think you're going to be able to improve much on MPG. A 6" lift and larger tires add more drag, and the 3.73 gears aren't helping. But to be honest, to change the rear to 3.42, lower the truck closer to factory, and put smaller tires, would cost more than you would save in gas money.

I had an 01 1500 with the 6.0, and the gas mileage was decent around 55-60 mph, but really went down over 70.