2015-2019 Tahoe and Suburban UV paint issues on hood and roof

Please email me if you are having issues with you paint on he hood or roof of your Tahoe or Suburban.  I went to two auto body and they are telling me that GM knows of the defect in the paint UV protection and will not issue a recall.  So I need 25 people with same issue to start a class action lawsuit.  Please email me with pictures @   [email protected]

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Go to a different gm dealer and ask if there is an internal recall.  Some dealers drop the ball in awareness or looking them up. Happen to me once with Toyota on another issue. Show them the paint issue, have them explain what it is.   What’s the issue ? You getting bubbling or discolouring?.  I know fading from sunlight is normal wear  and tear. 

• 6 months later...
On 8/25/2022 at 11:53 AM, Lgreenwood said:

I'm having the same issues with my 2017 Tahoe, what appear to be scratch marks and fading. Went to my local Chevy dealer today and they told me it's because I don't wax my car, I've never had this issue with all my other vehicles!!!

Is waxing a requirement for warranty?  Never heard of that one.

• 2 weeks later...

That assumption would be wrong, cost me over 2Gs to fix that crap.  That's how my vehicle looked after 3 years less than 30K miles, garaged, washed, waxed, no snow or ice.  I live on the Cali Central Coast, h**l it don't even rain.  That's definitely a defect, there is another thread on this forum about that.   

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wife's 16 Tahoe is doing that.  It's the dark green, almost black.  Doing it on the hood, and the front of the roof.  

I tried sanding and buffing, but it didn't help much, it's down in there, deep. 

I wouldn't say I have any noticeable fading yet with my 2019's black paint but on the hood and the front of the roof (where it would seem it would have gotten most of the road and wind rash) if you don't polish it you can see what appear to be lateral scratches.  I'm not sure if they are above or beneath the clear coat.  But it is only in these areas.  The side body panels seem not to be affected.  I believe the roof is steel but the hood is definitely aluminum and I am curious if this has anything to do with it.  Although when clean, polished, and buffed, it really disappears, it's not crusty or foggy like in some of these worst case scenario pictures attached in this thread.

My 2019 racked up 34,000 miles in one year of Rental use with Hertz (titled in Kansas) between when it was manufactured in August 2018 and when I purchased it in December of 2019.  I assumed this was in part due to frequent automatic car washes throughout the first year and a lot of dusty, gravely highway cruising as it was a rental.

Edited by BlaineBug

11 hours ago, Pacfanweb said:

Wife's 16 Tahoe is doing that.  It's the dark green, almost black.  Doing it on the hood, and the front of the roof.  

I tried sanding and buffing, but it didn't help much, it's down in there, deep. 

This problem does affect the hood and roof, but the continued assumption of the cause being automatic car washes, dusty-gravely highway cruising, parking outside, or the sun is incorrect.  I've had my truck now since 2014 and this issue appeared on my truck in 2018.  My truck has been hand washed by me since I bought it (no car wash), garaged, and regular wash and wax.  This paint job is a defect whether it's with the application or materials and putting a bandaid on a defect will not fix the problem, it has to be repainted.  In my case, it went almost down to the metal. 

You are correct that sanding and buffing didn't help, and unfortunately you made a mistake.  What you did sped up the process.  No assumptions, if you don't get those areas addressed by a reputable paint shop, sooner than later your truck will look worse than the photos above.      

The part of the country you live in is probably a big contributor to this,  e.g forest fires, factory and power plant emissions. My nephew has been driving black trucks for almost 20 yrs, Sierra HD and I asked him about the paint, said not a problem.  He lives in northern Wisconsin...

1 hour ago, elcamino said:

The part of the country you live in is probably a big contributor to this,  e.g forest fires, factory and power plant emissions. My nephew has been driving black trucks for almost 20 yrs, Sierra HD and I asked him about the paint, said not a problem.  He lives in northern Wisconsin...

Paint from 20 years ago was much more durable than today.  Because environment or something.

19 hours ago, The Zip said:

This problem does affect the hood and roof, but the continued assumption of the cause being automatic car washes, dusty-gravely highway cruising, parking outside, or the sun is incorrect.  I've had my truck now since 2014 and this issue appeared on my truck in 2018.  My truck has been hand washed by me since I bought it (no car wash), garaged, and regular wash and wax.  This paint job is a defect whether it's with the application or materials and putting a bandaid on a defect will not fix the problem, it has to be repainted.  In my case, it went almost down to the metal. 

You are correct that sanding and buffing didn't help, and unfortunately you made a mistake.  What you did sped up the process.  No assumptions, if you don't get those areas addressed by a reputable paint shop, sooner than later your truck will look worse than the photos above.      

I'll probably pull the hood off, prep it and paint it at some point.  Going to let the roof go for awhile though.  Neither is that terrible yet, and I put Rejex on it so if it's UV rays, it's stopped for now. It it's the paint "just doing it" and UV isn't the cause, then what I did won't matter.