The Truck they Should Build

Here's the truck I wish GM would build:

Make it the size of the S-10. The Colorado/Sonoma is too big and fuel mileage is not much better than the full size trucks.

Make it available with a regular cab option.

Drop the 2.7L turbo in it with choice of manual or auto.

Build it to price in the high teens to low twenties like the baseline Kia Soul that you see thousands of since it's so affordable.

With this power to weight ratio it would be fun to drive and easy to maneuver around town. 

Fuel mileage would probably be in the high 20's with the lighter weight.

It would make a great in town delivery vehicle.

I daily drive my 2020 Silverado Crew Cab but if I have to get in tight or crowded places I leave the crew cab at home and jump in my 1995 Regular Cab Nissan Hardbody.

Think about a true mini truck, not the large "mid-size" that they have morphed into, with today's performance technology. A smooth running 4 cylinder with a flat HP and Torque curve that runs to 6,000 RPM's without skipping a beat...4 wheel disc brakes....it may be time to find a Hardbody with a blown motor and drop in a 2.7......

Won't happen. If GM builds a truck smaller than the Colorado it'll be like the new Ford Maverick, based off a fwd crossover with no chance in hell of a regular cab option.

You'd have better luck hoping they decide to put the 2.7 4cyl in a Colorado. But you still ain't gonna get a regular cab. Ford's the only manufacturer cool enough to make a regular cab short box now. 

1996 Sonoma

Used 1996 GMC Sonoma Regular Cab Long Bed Prices | Kelley Blue Book

I've pictured this truck with the current LV3 4.3 FF, 6L80E and 3.23 Gleason Torsen

If I can get 28 mpg lifetime with the current box car sized 1500 RCSB what would that powertrain do 2K pounds lighter and half the frontal area? This would be mid 30 mpg at 70 mph. 300 hp at 3000 pounds! That would also be some fun!!