Hey everyone, I'm possibly looking at a 6.2 and was wondering about the trans. and how much HP it can safely handle. I've had 3 duramax's and I knew that when you're getting close to the 450-500 HP range, things will start getting dicey. If I do get the 6.2, I'll probably be adding a whipple to it, or possibly tuning a 3.0. Thanks for any help!

Iv had several S/C vehicles. The same formula applies as if you didn’t have one. Totally depends on your right foot. Some our tuned diesels needed transmission work to keep the setup from detuning due to slipping. The gas trucks would have transmission tuning to reduce slipping between shifts. Unless I was going to the track drag racing, I didn’t overdo the tire size. Tires are cheap in comparison. My last S/C truck lasted me 12 years just with maintenance. It’s been awhile since my last new modified vehicle. It’s potential very expensive. Especially replacing engines. Ultimately it’s down to how it’s driven more than anything else. That doesn’t change.

• Like 1

thanks! I'm not gonna be racing it, but wasn't sure if a gas truck would need beefing up or tuning. 35's are gonna be the biggest tire size I go to. This would be my first gas truck in about 10 years so I'm kind of new to them

Edited by contenderv07

I have a 2021 6.2L TrailBoss with the 10 speed and I already have the Gen 5 3L Whipple Supercharger installed. I too am very concerned about the transmission. I believe that the 10L80 transmission is rated for 600hp but don't quote me on that. My truck made 535whp and 537lbft. If you add 18% for parasitic loss that 630hp at the crank. Anybody with some info would be greatly appreciated. 

Ford Raptor:  450 horsepower, 510 torque, 4.10 rear axle

Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE:  650 horsepower, 650 torque, 3.73 rear axle

Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra w/ 6.2:  420 horsepower, 460 torque, 3.23 rear axle (most models)

Yeah, I think there's room for more power

• Like 1