Hate the Soft roll up

Always liked the soft tri-folds.  One downfall was folding them up and they took up about 2ft of bed space.  Well went and got a soft roll up and just hate everything about it.  Not looking to spend a grand on something like this.  Are there tri-folds that have the hinge that allows it to stick up while driving down the road thus giving me more bed space. 

Worst case Ill get the trifold and deal with it being in the way a few times a year.

I had the Extang Trifecta on my previous truck and loved it. It was so easy to remove that the few occasions I needed that extra 2ft I just removed the top entirely. If I had to do that frequently, it would definitely become an issue. I haven't purchased a topper for my new truck yet. But, in looking around I seem to recall seeing some that fold up at the cab. However, I think those have their own rail systems inside the truck rails. I've ruled those out because I need all the clearance I can get for my fifth wheel pinbox on hard turns.

I've had a backflip MX4 on my last two trucks and like the flexibility of it. It will fold up against the cab with some spongy material so it doesn't damage anything and is held up by two little arms similar to a manual hood prop. It always seals fairly well and only leaks in extreme storms or a carwash. Even then it's minimal and while the definition doesn't fit here, I call that waterproof for a tonneau cover.

On 7/2/2021 at 7:17 PM, Njmurvin said:

I had the Extang Trifecta on my previous truck and loved it. It was so easy to remove that the few occasions I needed that extra 2ft I just removed the top entirely. If I had to do that frequently, it would definitely become an issue. I haven't purchased a topper for my new truck yet. But, in looking around I seem to recall seeing some that fold up at the cab. However, I think those have their own rail systems inside the truck rails. I've ruled those out because I need all the clearance I can get for my fifth wheel pinbox on hard turns.

There are few that fold to the cab,  the MX4 is one,  but nothing Im willing to part with a grand over.  I just bought and extang or rough country tri fold, same concept as the rest of them.  Last few trucks were half tons with 5.5 beds, and would only allow 2.5 ft of space per say.  The 2500 with a 6'8" bed allows for close to 5ft, and its not something I am doing all the time, so I will just deal with folding it up and taking it off the few times a year.

On 7/2/2021 at 7:49 PM, jeetS said:

What did you hate about the soft roll up?

It was a soft roll up.  Im a descent DIY guy and to start this thing was a pain to get installed,  may have helped with another hand, but getting it in place where it should go took forever.  next is when rolling it up it always wants to roll uneven,  may work better with two guys one each side.  Next is unrolling it,  it never unrolls right first time, as one side will have to much velcro and the other not enough.  The concept is just worthless in many aspects vs the trifold,  only benefit is it will roll up to the cab. 

I am not even to winter yet, where snow ice clocks up the velcro etc.

51 minutes ago, nards444 said:

It was a soft roll up.  Im a descent DIY guy and to start this thing was a pain to get installed,  may have helped with another hand, but getting it in place where it should go took forever.  next is when rolling it up it always wants to roll uneven,  may work better with two guys one each side.  Next is unrolling it,  it never unrolls right first time, as one side will have to much velcro and the other not enough.  The concept is just worthless in many aspects vs the trifold,  only benefit is it will roll up to the cab. 

I am not even to winter yet, where snow ice clocks up the velcro etc.

What brand did you try? I have a Truxedo Lopro and don't experience any of the issues you talk about when opening and closing mine by myself. I installed it myself in maybe 1 hour. I would never want any other folding cover that blocks more of my bed when open.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aseibel said:

What brand did you try? I have a Truxedo Lopro and don't experience any of the issues you talk about when opening and closing mine by myself. I installed it myself in maybe 1 hour. I would never want any other folding cover that blocks more of my bed when open.

mine was a lund.  seems quality made.  But mine is also on a 2500 with a 6'8",  bed height and width might be making a difference

On 7/6/2021 at 1:02 PM, nards444 said:

mine was a lund.  seems quality made.  But mine is also on a 2500 with a 6'8",  bed height and width might be making a difference

I have a tuxedo deuce on my 2500 with the 6"8" box.   installed easy the one thing i like most about the deuce is that you can open it at the front of the box just behind the cab and fold it back so you don't have to roll it up to get at things that move forward in the bed.  makes that new forward box step real handy in the 2020 Chevy.   High quality and easy to install  At least  that's my experience.  I had one on the truck before this one too 

I have a trifold hardtop and it will fold all the say up to the cab and is supported by two metal arms to keep it upright against the cab and out of the way.  It locks nicely and stays completely dry so far in hard rain or a car wash.  It is sturdy enough for me to stand on as well if I had to.  It is been an outstanding cover.  I got it new off of eBay for $650.  Well worth it!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2021 at 2:07 PM, HiggySTL said:

I have a trifold hardtop and it will fold all the say up to the cab and is supported by two metal arms to keep it upright against the cab and out of the way.  It locks nicely and stays completely dry so far in hard rain or a car wash.  It is sturdy enough for me to stand on as well if I had to.  It is been an outstanding cover.  I got it new off of eBay for $650.  Well worth it!

brand?