New member: 6.2L impressions

Hi folks. Proud owner of a gently used 2018 Denali with a 6.2 & 8 speed. 22k miles on the ticker and seems to run pretty good. Very smooth shifting, quiet, and decent power. I say decent because, well; it feels kinda lazy if I'm being honest. If I really mash the pedal it'll definitely motivate. I was kinda hoping though that being a 420 horse monster that I'd have to drive it somewhat conservatively. Our 2013 5.3L Suburban isn't going to win any races but I still feel like it's just more responsive. I haven't filled up the GMC yet, but I'm hoping maybe the dealer filled it up with 87 and this isn't it's normal self versus the likelihood that this is how GM tunes them and torque management is throwing shade on my new ride. 

Anyway, great forum people; I spent many nights reading here before taking the plunge.

• Like 1

Its the way the newer trucks are. I went from an 02 yukon denali with the 6.0 and 4sp, to an 18 sierra denali with the 6.2 and 8sp. The new truck makes 100 more hp at peak, is much quieter, and gets about 6mpg better on the highway, but it's city driving response is far worse. The trans seems to shift "nervously" for lack of a better word, sometimes at low speeds (say in a 25mph neighborhood when making turns onto short streets) is becomes jerky as it shifts back and forth and hunts for the right gear. The goal of these is to shift as soon as possible and keep engine rpm down, sometimes as low as 1000rpm while driving under load. That's good for economy and noise but awful for throttle response.

• Like 1

All in the name of reducing emissions. A tune will fix that.

Until China get's their ****** together the whole world is screwed anyways. I'm in Canada and I can't stand all of the ignorant climate activists. If they want to spark change they wont accomplish anything by doing it here. Canada produces less then 1% to global pollution levels, and industrial/manufacturing activities are probably 90 percent of that. 

Greta Thunberg needs to go to China. But she's not going to find fame or money there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Adam in WI said:

How do I "like" posts...

Welcome to the site.

Congratulations on your new to you truck!

Hover above the heart in the bottom right hand corner, then click (choose) an icon.

A tune makes a world of difference on these trucks. And I'm not talking about a handheld tuner either. I'm talking about a good, reputable custom tuner - or yourself - after spending months of dialing it in (like I have). Once spark, fueling/airflow tables are dialed in these 8 speeds come to life. Make a few changes on the trans side and it gets even better. It all works together and contributes to the driving experience. 

The main issue is that the 2018 folks have to spend WAY more money on tuning that I did on my 2016. It only cost me $100 in credits from HP Tuners. 

• Like 1