In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Engine Knock (not tick but also had the tick) 3000 miles

Hi there,

3000 miles. I was driving to a camp and my engine was knocking sporadically (I thought it was actually tie strap hitting the truck at first due to wind). 

Anyway when I arrived, and rolled down my windows I realized I had the dreaded lifter tick. 

Dealer is replacing all 16 lifters but I’m concerned about what the knock would have been. It was sporadic and only seemed to occur when under load (higher rpms). My neighbor is making it sound like the knock means my truck will never be the same.  I asked the only other mechanically inclined guy I know and he basically said that it’s not good but it won’t just go away so if it’s not fixed properly I’ll know. 

Anyone have any idea? 

Maybe a valve broke off and was bouncing off the head and piston, then broke a hole through the piston. Then as the valve was being knocked and bounced of the crank and connecting rods in the engine block you heard it...

I'm sure they will fix it correctly. If not you can bring it back and have them do it again. We're you able to get a rental

Car from gm?

Edited by Adamace1

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2021 at 9:50 PM, 1500guy said:

Dealer is replacing all 16 lifters but I’m concerned about what the knock would have been. It was sporadic and only seemed to occur when under load  

So any other issues after the lifter replacement? 
mine is going to the dealership today with the same issues 5482 miles on it..