Anyone else hear about this air bag issue?

It's for 2015 and 2016 models.
Fortunately, none for mine.
Still, as mentioned by @newdudeand @mikeyk101, thanks for the heads up, @rav3!
Also, @mikeyk101, thanks for the link and, @newdude, I love the information you bring to this site!

Edited by MikeBMW
  • Like 1

General Motors is recalling certain 2015 and 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500, 2500, and 3500 and GMC Sierra 1500, 2500, and 3500 full-sized pickup trucks because of concerns that the roof-rail airbag inflator may deploy without a collision occurring and propel parts into the cabin. Plus, it is an understatement to say that a random airbag deployment could startle the driver. 

This action was prompted by reports of three vehicles experiencing ruptured airbags in unoccupied vehicles in June 2021. The automaker determined that the cause is corrosion inside the inflator caused by moisture introduced during manufacturing and aggravated by temperature changes in hot regions.

This airbag recall affects 410,019 trucks. This recall notice supersedes a related recall announced in November 2020, for the same issue (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration number 20V-736). That recall involved 9,279 trucks. 

Further, this latest recall is not related to the Chevrolet and GMC heavy-duty diesel truck recall also announced this week.

Owners can use a vehicle identification number (VIN) to check to see whether their truck is included in this or other recalls at the GM Owner Center or NHTSA’s website.

Customer notifications will be sent out in mid-August, to be followed by further communication when a fix is available.

NHTSA campaign number: 21V504000. GM’s number for this recall is N202324251.

• Like 1

Mine is a 2016 built towards the end of 2015. Mine will probably be one of the ones that needs the recall but it isn't showing up via the my.chevrolet.com site when I check. I will probably have to keep checking and/or wait until Aug for the recall notification letter.

Edited by mikeyk101

• 2 years later...