Vibrate/Shimmy or giggles w on bumpy road.

On 7/28/2021 at 10:05 AM, Wiggums said:

In my RST Z71, I've lost traction because of the violent judders in the back which sent my truck into a tailspin and I nearly hit a pedestrian. I don't drive it much anymore, it was going to be a truck for the ranch but now it sits there nine months a year. I will never drive it again.

I watched the video a few post up and have a hard time understanding how anyone could believe this is not dangerous. Wheels off the ground, yes on both ends of the truck, prevent steering, braking and accelerating. Did we note the 28 mph speed the test section was taken on?

First week I had my truck I had something quite like your experience happen. Paved road, Wisconsin 140  northbound near I-43 on the north side of Clinton. Doing a bit more than 28 mph as the speed limit there is 45. Truck moved an entire lane to the right before the hippity hop stopped. It didn't even look that rough. Since repaired. 

This lead to a total suspension 'remake'. Custom springs and shocks. Don't park it. FIX IT. 

On 7/28/2021 at 11:57 AM, Amcguy1970 said:

Either way, this video shows in an extreme (notice none of these trucks step out to spin out and almost hit a pedestrian) how live axles and leaf springs made to carry weight act in regards to bumps... I think trucks these days have gotten a little worse as they have much stiffer frames/body's and the suspension is designed to carry more weight to the suspension is stiffer in most regards.

Then you need to watch the video again. Narrator even points out the 'step out'.  No, no one spun out. But then were were not driving where Wiggums was. If the road is there and the speed is legal then the vehicle should behave. Evidently his did not. Neither did mine. You can't 'cancel' and experience. :wtf:

And there it is. Everyone is trying to be King of the Hill and we have half ton trucks with one ton capacity. You can't buy less. (No, Ridgeline is NOT a truck. It's an abomination.) So you have to make less. If you need all that then you get to live with all that. But calling a guy out on a near miss then providing the information that proves his case is a bit bewildering. Serious. I don't understand. 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 7:28 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

I watched the video a few post up and have a hard time understanding how anyone could believe this is not dangerous. Wheels off the ground, yes on both ends of the truck, prevent steering, braking and accelerating. Did we note the 28 mph speed the test section was taken on?

First week I had my truck I had something quite like your experience happen. Paved road, Wisconsin 140  northbound near I-43 on the north side of Clinton. Doing a bit more than 28 mph as the speed limit there is 45. Truck moved an entire lane to the right before the hippity hop stopped. It didn't even look that rough. Since repaired. 

This lead to a total suspension 'remake'. Custom springs and shocks. Don't park it. FIX IT. 

Likewise, I was going 30 on a 35-mph road, foot off the gas due to the caked dirt on the road from the recent floods. I never expected the whole back end to fishtail, causing my truck to immediately veer off-course. I was really pissed when this happened, this has never happened in any of the other 4x4's I've driven. What made it much more dangerous was the front end seemed to do a good job of staying planted but the backend fishtailed wildly, within five seconds, it was already over 30 degrees off-course. Had all been even, I might have slowed down, but this.. is unacceptable.

The first thing I did was turn the steering wheel to the LEFT as fast as possible and SMASH my brakes to not hit the guy walking on the sidewalk. Despite the 30-mph, the fishtailing took approximately five seconds, yes ,it was that quick! If I was driving in my lane  instead of the middle of the road, I would have mowed down the poor guy. I have never had to do that in ANY of the cars or trucks (and I've driven a lot more than the average Joe). NONE of the cars should FISHTAIL, period. I get it when all get bouncy and the driver has to let off the gas.. but this? If anybody thinks that's acceptable is an idiot.

I could not understand why others ridiculed me over it, then I realized none of them have RST with the twin-tube shocks. The sheer ignorance.. fortunately, there's the ignore button. It has only happened twice and I now know to avoid such roads like that. Still, that pissed me off!

Edited by Wiggums