A/C Compressor on 2000 Silverado 1500

Hello,

The AC compressor on my 2000 Silverado 1500 has been acting up. It will work on cold starts, but once the truck gets warmed up the compressor clutch will disengage itself and will only work again if I turn it off for a few minutes and let it cool down. 

So I thought the solution was to replace the compressor clutch. I watched a video of a guy doing it without having to breach the refrigerant system so I bought the bought and gave it a shot. I took off the intake and fan shroud to get down to the compressor. And I was unable to get the face plate of the clutch off. What was holding on the face plate looked different from what I had seen everywhere else online. I'm assuming the current compressor on it was a replacement before I bought it (I bought it at 172,000 miles). 

I attached a couple of photos I was able to get of what is holding on the face plate of the compressor. It looks like some kind of clip, and I assume it's threaded onto the shaft since I never took any nut off before I found it like this.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? If so, am I able to even to replace just the clutch? Or is it a better idea to just replace the whole compressor?

Trying to keep the old girl going for a while longer. Thanks!

IMG_1368.PNG

IMG_1367.PNG

I say replace the whole compressor, if in fact your issue is the compressor assembly.  Make sure you inspect all of your wires very good, preferably when the truck is warm enough to kick the ac off.  Sometimes these wires will heat up because they no longer have a good connection and cause issues, until they cool down enough to allow proper current. 

Before you go any further I suggest you get the pressure of the system checked, there s a low pressure switch that when the pressure is low will turn off the compressor clutch. Also see if there is a manufacture's data plate on the compressor, go to their web site and see what you can learn there.

On 8/1/2021 at 5:24 AM, Sharpz said:

I say replace the whole compressor, if in fact your issue is the compressor assembly.  Make sure you inspect all of your wires very good, preferably when the truck is warm enough to kick the ac off.  Sometimes these wires will heat up because they no longer have a good connection and cause issues, until they cool down enough to allow proper current. 

I've checked the voltage on the connecter that goes to the compressor with the truck running after the compressor kicked off and I still get about 12 volts. Do you think the wiring could still be the issue even if I'm always getting voltage at the compressor?

On 8/1/2021 at 8:35 AM, dna9656 said:

Before you go any further I suggest you get the pressure of the system checked, there s a low pressure switch that when the pressure is low will turn off the compressor clutch. Also see if there is a manufacture's data plate on the compressor, go to their web site and see what you can learn there.

I've had the system pressures checked and they all looked good. 

Good idea with the data plate, I'll definitely try that route. Thanks. 

9 hours ago, bdawg said:

I've checked the voltage on the connecter that goes to the compressor with the truck running after the compressor kicked off and I still get about 12 volts. Do you think the wiring could still be the issue even if I'm always getting voltage at the compressor?

no, not if you are getting that after it shuts off, at least not at the compressor.  Might try to test the actual interior switch that engages the AC.