Rear shock replacement

Changing the driveline fluids today and noticed a rear shock that has "blown" on the driver's side.

What's everyone have? I'm not looking to lift or lower and had no complaints with the factory rear shocks. Should I stick with an OEM replacement or is there something better?

I currently have pink rancho shocks on a 2017 Silverado crew cab 4wd Z71 with 65k miles. Truck does have the towing package but I only pull a light duty trailer with a small mower once a month in the summer

Edited by Hogtiming

Kind of confusing to say "no complaints" and "something better". What could be better than not having a complaint? So I guess this is a question of value? Like is there something cheaper 'just like what I have"? 

Well anyway. If you replacing just the one then take the VIN to the dealer and replace in like and kind to match what you already have. There are a bunch in the book. Most run roughly $65 a piece. 

Gabriel, Monroe, KYB, Bilstein, Rancho all have OEM replacement products if done in pairs. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

I  have no complaints on the ride of the rancho shocks. But they are rusted at the bottom (I live in the south) and one is blown already, so I am open to any better options with similar pricing

I found the huge Bilstein shock thread. Looks like 5100s or 4600s are to be had

Edited by Hogtiming
  • Like 2

I'd go with the Bilstein 5100s.
Before I had them installed, on my lift, the stock shocks would bounce the truck over small speed bumps.
With them, it's been much, much better as I can over speed bumps with very little jounce and I watch trucks behind me jouncing as I used to.
That said, as @Grumpy Bear mentioned, there are many choices at many different price points.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Buck the system, go with these, then report back.

RS55198

RANCHO RS5000X SHOCK ABSORBER

Rancho® Performance Suspension & Shocks: The world’s most proven performance shocks! Covered by a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

CROSS TUNED TECHNOLOGY

NEW!

The core of this new and innovative shock from Rancho® is the unique rebound valving system and an advanced compression phase of the shock absorber. This proprietary process developed by the ride engineers at Rancho will elevate the overall handling and performance of your vehicle on and off-road.

FEATURES & BENEFITS

Progressive Engagement Valving

Tuned Compression Control Valve

Enlarged 2-1/4-inch Twin Tube Body

Gas Pressurization of Shock

16 mm Nitro-Carburized Rod

Full-Displaced 35 mm Bore

1-3/8-inch Diameter Sintered Iron Piston

Rebound Bumper

Black, Natural Rubber Bushings

Low-Friction, Self-Lubricating Seal

Protective Boot

Glass-Filled, Fluon Banded Piston

Double-Welded Loops

*Rancho RS5000X series struts include 60PSI of gas pressurization.

VEHICLE FITMENT

• YEAR:
  • MAKE:
    Chevrolet
  • MODEL:
    Silverado 1500
  • DRIVE:
    4WD
  • POSITION: Rear
  • VEHICLE HEIGHT: 0.00"
  • NON-STANDARD QUALIFIER: without Electronic Ride Control Package (ZX3); Except Heavy Duty;
  • QTY REQUIRED: 2

SHOCK SPECIFICATIONS

COMPRESSED LENGTH EXTENDED LENGTH TRAVEL LENGTH LOWER MOUNTING CODE UPPER MOUNTING CODE PARTS PACK
15.69 25.59 9.9 LS47 LS47 None
*All measurements are in inches. Boot/Dust Shield end is upper. All shocks sold individually.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MikeBMW said:

As I mentioned previously, there are many options but, from real world use, I do like the Bilstein 5100s. :)

I know, great shocks, but we need to mix up the mind set here on the forum every once in a while.

If there is no change in life, it become stagnate, boring, and predictable. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

I know, great shocks, but we need to mix up the mind set here on the forum every once in a while.

If there is no change in life, it become stagnate, boring, and predictable. 

A true third choice and I don't mean brand. 

ICON, Bilstein 5100 and 6100 shocks are Digressive

FOX and King are Linear

Rancho RS5000 is Progressive

https://accutuneoffroad.com/articles/digressive-vs-linear-vs-progressive-pistons-shock-valving/

I run King on mine but don't often recommend them like I use to. I got allot of push back on cost and they are expensive but do get the job done. 

DSCF3007.thumb.JPG.37919c94e2c090f4693d34128dc9b8f9.JPG

DSCF3009.thumb.JPG.ff51e27b635a46f31857999de85c843d.JPG

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

Stick with the Bilstein 4600. I swapped just the rears and it made a difference. The stock shock seems to not respond well to small bumps and the back felt a bit out of control. Towing with the 4600s was much better. Bumps much smoother and in control. 

Depending on who you talk to 5100s are valved the same as the 4600, no need to pay extra unless you are lifted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

VIKINGS!! VIKINGS!! VIKINGS!!

I keep telling myself to do a write-up on these here but I never make the time. 

A few months back I put on a set of ViKing's Warrior Double Adjustable shocks in the proper length and bushing size (can get you the part # if need-be). 

What I realized is that everyone and their butt is different. Why not tune it the way YOU like it? Instead of having the shock manufacturer dictate the valving. 

Their build quality it TOP NOTCH. These things are made out of solid billet aluminum and almost looked too nice to install haha. The adjustability it not a gimmick either. The difference is felt with each click, no joke. I've tried a lot of different settings but keep coming back to wide open on both adjusters. 0c/0r. It's just so ridiculously smooth for 95% of the stuff I encounter. The other 5% needs more rebound damping but I mean just a little. If I'm going on the highway for a trip I crank it to 4c/4r and it feels very planted up to 90 MPH. 

Considering there are 19 clicks of adjustment on the compression and rebound side you can see I spend all my time at the lower end of the spectrum. With that said, if I could do it again I'd go with the ViKing Voyager valving as it's specifically designed for ride comfort (my goal) and not a dual-purpose shock. 

Current supporting mods to the rear: flipped overloads and RC Traction Bars. Rides killer and I get ZERO axle wrap ever. My dad is a Ram guy (think coil springs and 5 link) and even he is impressed with the way I got this leaf setup to perform. 

Edited by lucas287