Apple CarPlay on a 2016 GMC Truck

I’ve had my 2016 GMC 1500 truck for about a year and a half now.  The only thing I can’t figure out is why the Apple CarPlay doesn’t always work when I plug my iPhone 12 Pro in.  Does anyone else have this problem?  Is there a GMC firmware update?  Thanks.

32 minutes ago, ACinaKC said:

I’ve had my 2016 GMC 1500 truck for about a year and a half now.  The only thing I can’t figure out is why the Apple CarPlay doesn’t always work when I plug my iPhone 12 Pro in.  Does anyone else have this problem?  Is there a GMC firmware update?  Thanks.

Try un pairing your phone from the truck, then un pair (forget this device) in the phones setting.

Once all of that is done, repair like it is the very first time and see if that clears it up.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, steelerdude15 said:

Do you use Face ID or a passcode to get into your phone? iPhones will not allow you to use CarPlay until the phone is unlocked. I have to unlock my phone every time I plug it in to use CarPlay.

You should have received a message asking if you would like to use Car Play while the phone is locked.
If you tapped "Yes" it wouldn't matter if the iPhone was locked, it would still connect.

• Thanks 1

I’ve tried everything mentioned here.  The repair process does work but I shouldn’t have to do that.  That’s why I thought the problem is with the GMC firmware.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, steelerdude15 said:

I’ll take a look into that. Thanks.

Go into Settings > General > Car Play and turn the option on.

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

Edited by MikeBMW
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ACinaKC said:

I’ve tried everything mentioned here.  The repair process does work but I shouldn’t have to do that.  That’s why I thought the problem is with the GMC firmware.

Unfortunately  you are right on the borderline of when they started to figure out the electronics in the K2's.

Had to reset my 14 all the time, my 16 was a little better, and now my 18 is pretty seamless as always being connected and usable.

• Like 1