Upgrading to IO4 from IO3 stereo?

Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a 2015 Silverado WT. Its got the basic IO3 stereo in it and I was looking into options to give my truck more functionality. My truck has the small 4" screen, no cd player, it does have the usb, sd card, and aux ports in the center console but the stereo only recognizes the aux, not my flashdrive or sd cards. 

I was thinking, if I bought one of the other stereos like an IO4 and swapped it out, would that give me the ability to use SD and USD drives and even a backup camera if I can get one? Ive seen the 4" screens have the backup and more media options in other trucks. If I could just swap out the IO3 and get one of the others, I think that would be a simpler option to get my desired functions. I dont really care about bluetooth, nav, and satellite radio etc.  

I think IO5 and 6 are designed only for the larger touchscreens correct? so they wouldn't really be compatible with my current screen. 

But would an IO4 be a safe and easy upgrade? Is there anything I should be concerned about when looking for other radios?  

22 hours ago, 15_silverado_wt said:

Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a 2015 Silverado WT. Its got the basic IO3 stereo in it and I was looking into options to give my truck more functionality. My truck has the small 4" screen, no cd player, it does have the usb, sd card, and aux ports in the center console but the stereo only recognizes the aux, not my flashdrive or sd cards. 

I was thinking, if I bought one of the other stereos like an IO4 and swapped it out, would that give me the ability to use SD and USD drives and even a backup camera if I can get one? Ive seen the 4" screens have the backup and more media options in other trucks. If I could just swap out the IO3 and get one of the others, I think that would be a simpler option to get my desired functions. I dont really care about bluetooth, nav, and satellite radio etc.  

I think IO5 and 6 are designed only for the larger touchscreens correct? so they wouldn't really be compatible with my current screen. 

But would an IO4 be a safe and easy upgrade? Is there anything I should be concerned about when looking for other radios?  

Contact WAMS: https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/

38 minutes ago, CrawlSlow said:

Save your money and go with io5 or io6. You will be a lot happier at the end of the day. 

I agree, but, still, contact WAMS, right?
Best thing I ever did to get the Denali cluster.
They aren't cheap, but they do it right.
https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/

Either I'm lost or you don't understand it can be done without WAMS. 

Maybe WAMS can program a CD player/USB playback and backup camera into his HMI.

My understanding is, he needs new hardwares such as the CD player (hardware), a new face plate (screen) with access slot to the CD player, a backup camera (hardware) and io4 HMI. And also possibly camera wiring if the truck is not equipped.

WAMS is only needed if he wants additional features not already came with the new HMI. For example; video in motion, camera in motion and others feature he might not even use.

Like I said, maybe I'm lost. Maybe I should've pay WAMS when I did my io6 upgrade. 

Hey everyone, just wanted to clarify, my main goal is to get my stereo to acknowledge my USB drive or SD card so that I can listen to music and have controls through the radio buttons rather than fumbling around with my phone to change music.

I would also like to install a backup camera. From the looks of things, my truck is pre-wired I just gotta shop around for the hardware. But then I gotta so some software work for it to acknowledge, right? 

Bluetooth would be nice but I can live without it if its gonna be a bunch more money.    

I dont want a CD player, nav, or satalite radio or all that, I got my phone for GPS. 

From what I've read over the past few days, it seems the stereos are VIN locked and would need reprogramming for it to work if I got a used IO4. Im also open to just sending my IO3 to have features added if possible. 

Aftermarkets looking kinda viable too if it saves me from dumping $800+ on comforts.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

https://www.infotainment.com/blogs/news/2014-2015-chevrolet-silverado-gmc-sierra-backup-camera-upgrade-everything-you-need-to-know

Thought that might be useful. 😉  I have a WT with the IO4 and have been looking into a camera as well. 

Darn, so I have to go for at least an IO4 if I wanna stick to factory like methods? 

• Like 1

So made a little discovery earlier, my USB ports dont seem to be doing anything at all, not even charging my phone. I checked the fuse and it seems fine, so I went to try checking the wiring on the module itself, maybe the USB isnt plugged in or something... Well upon trying to pop the port assembly out from the center console, the wire seemed too short or caught on something and I ended up pulling the while assembly apart... The back board that the plugs connect to stayed in the console, and the housing and circuit boards came out in my hand... ugh. I was able to put it functionally back together but the back board pushes in before it all clicks firmly together. 

So I guess Im gonna explore how to take these cupholders apart and look at it from the inside...

20210915_210755.jpg

Edited by 15_silverado_wt
  • Like 1

So yeah, I took my cupholders out. Looks like someone spilled a lot of coffee at some point in the past. 

I checked and it seems the USB is plugged into something, but no power seems to be going to it anyway. I unhooked the two plugs, properly reassembled the module, then tried hooking everything back up, started the truck, and still my phone wasnt getting any power. 

Are the W/T usb plugs just for show or something? or does my truck have an issue somewhere? 

for the record, my phone does charge when hooked up to the 12v outlet next to it, and the aux cable works. the SD and USB seem to be unusable.

20210916_190041.jpg

20210916_190105.jpg