In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

L83 5.3L Flex fuel conversion with Dyno sheets. Followed with tune and more dyno sheets.

1 hour ago, CamGTP said:

Who is doing the tuning?

No idea yet. Haven't thought about it. +20whp on the stock tune will do it for a while. I will probably mess around with it for a little while. I need to see what tuners in Chicago are good with Gen V trucks. 

Well, who did the tune to enable the flex fuel?

Or do you own the software to make those changes?

I can easily just post a few tunes I've made here.

Edited by CamGTP
  • Like 1
34 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

Well, who did the tune to enable the flex fuel?

Or do you own the software to make those changes?

I can easily just post a few tunes I've made here.

I did. I purchased HP tuners. All I did for the time being was enable the sensor, the corresponding MIL codes and filled in the alcohol afr table. I didn't want to do anything outside of OEM parameters. This was purely to show what the power gains on the stock GM tune is with ethanol.

"I can easily just post a few tunes I've made here." What do you mean by this?

What I mean is that I can post tune files I have made for myself and other people that you can use if you want or at least see what I do to them.

They will have improved changes over the OEM settings. For things like power enrichment, commanded air fuel ratio on gasoline and ethanol. Minor timing changes and engine torque mngt changes.

If that is a 6 speed truck (probably not because it's a denali) I know how to make them shift and act way better than stock.

Post your current tune here if you want too. I'm curious what it looks like compared to the other 2015 file I have.

• Like 1

I would be very interested in looking those over if you don't mind. I do in fact have the 6l80 trans due to having a Denali with the 5.3. I will post my stock file as well as the file that i made the changes to run Ethanol. 

I appreciating you helping me with this! 

Alec Sierra stock tune no ccm no changes.hpt Alec Sierra stock tune + E85.hpt

• Like 1

This is a 2015 Silverado 5.3/6L80e combo. It should be almost exactly the same as your truck calibration wise, when it was stock.

I went through and just updated this file and changes a few more things that I normally do now. Feel free to use the changes and ask questions about it. The engine stuff and transmission changes will make it drive like a different truck. Remember that you are just copying the changes and not writing my file to your truck as that won't work. You can open my file with yours using the compare feature to see what is changed over your file.

Just note that if you do try out the transmission changes you will have to reset the adaptive learning with the scanner on HP Tuners. After the new tune is flashed in and "before" you start the truck you do this:

Flash tune, open VCM scanner, connect to truck, start a new scan, click the special vehicle functions and find the transmission tab. There should be two boxes for the trans adapts that say preset and reset. Click reset first and then preset. Now start the truck. Simple as that, now it will learn the new settings and the first few shifts will be a little clunky but that is normal.

2015 Silverado. test.hpt

Edited by CamGTP
  • Like 3

If anyone else is considering this, cold starts now have a VERY extended cranking time. I'm looking into it. I'll update if I figure it out. Otherwise all is good. I made the adjustments from the tune shared above and that shaved another tenth in the quarter mile. The truck just feels nicer to drive. 

Anything under like 45-50 degrees and it does take an extra second or two of cranking time to start. I never messed with it.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

By accident, I did a search on my Diablo i3 tuner and found it has a 'Flex fuel' tune in addition to the 87, 91 and 93 octane gas tunes.  So, I filled with Ethanol twice (currently, about 65% ethanol per my Diablo sampler) and tuned it for Flex.  I added a slightly firmer shift (trans is too sloppy and I'm always pressing harder to push it along and now happier since the new tune... I still press the go pedal but for better reasons) and ensured the DOD/AFM is OFF.  Overall, no noticeable change other than the better shifting.  But, it is early and I hope to enjoy it regardless.  

NOTE:  I'm not concerned with mileage as I am WFH since March 2020 due to the 'lockdown' and my once-weekly 1-hour drive each way (beer and wings with my buds) is my one long trip I get to enjoy listening to the flowmaster Force II exhaust note.

I am tuning now for enjoyment.  Also, I am looking seriously at potential for delete of DOD/AFM due to my 70K mileage... a separate thread/topic.

Edited by TedH
9 hours ago, TedH said:

By accident, I did a search on my Diablo i3 tuner and found it has a 'Flex fuel' tune in addition to the 87, 91 and 93 octane gas tunes.  So, I filled with Ethanol twice (currently, about 65% ethanol per my Diablo sampler) and tuned it for Flex.  I added a slightly firmer shift (trans is too sloppy and I'm always pressing harder to push it along and now happier since the new tune... I still press the go pedal but for better reasons) and ensured the DOD/AFM is OFF.  Overall, no noticeable change other than the better shifting.  But, it is early and I hope to enjoy it regardless.  

NOTE:  I'm not concerned with mileage as I am WFH since March 2020 due to the 'lockdown' and my once-weekly 1-hour drive each way (beer and wings with my buds) is my one long trip I get to enjoy listening to the flowmaster Force II exhaust note.

I am tuning now for enjoyment.  Also, I am looking seriously at potential for delete of DOD/AFM due to my 70K mileage... a separate thread/topic.

Interesting you see / feel no real difference. About a week ago I was chatting up a guy in a 2500 while getting e85 and he agreed that his bone stock truck feels like a completely different vehicle when he runs e85!

8 hours ago, Alec Kerchner said:

Interesting you see / feel no real difference. About a week ago I was chatting up a guy in a 2500 while getting e85 and he agreed that his bone stock truck feels like a completely different vehicle when he runs e85!

I tried E-85 for about a month. Like 10 tanks. The only thing that changed was the fuel economy. But I never asked it to do anything more than I asked of it running 87 E-10. Cost per mile was higher in my area of purchase. No joy there. It started the same. Idled the same. Responded the same to the pedal......zero difference in DTD driving. 

I can count on one hand the number of times I've had that truck matted in 150,000 miles. 4% power difference at the crank at WOT and at 5,300 rpm I'm not going to notice in daily driving. 

• Like 1

I put a 91 octane tune on my truck via the FashPaq as well as updating my  tire size.
I've got it into a 1 MPH difference from actual speed via GPS.
My mileage from 10 or so is now showing about 12.
Today, I reset one of the trip monitors on a daily drive and got 15.
Sure, 93 Octane costs a lot more, but, with a tune, there is a benefit.
This truck runs better than ever before even on these stupid 35 inch tires! 😺