Brake Pad Issues

cotect20

I recently had my 2019 Silverado 1500 RST into my local shop for a state safety inspection (located in VT and required to have a yearly inspection), and was shocked to find out that the truck wouldn't pass inspection.  The technician said that the brake pads were severely rusted / corroded and that I would need ~$800-worth of brake repairs in order to be able to pass inspection.  They also said that in their opinion, this should not have happened and should be covered by warranty, and that they have seen the same thing on other 2019+ Silverados.

The truck has just under 29K miles on it.  Its the 5.3l V8, and is my daily driver.  Do not off road with it (unless riding gravel back roads is considered off roading).  Pull a 2-place snow mobile trailer with it about 5-6 times a winter.  By most standards, I would say the truck lives an easy life.

I've just begun the battle with Chevy over whether or not this should be covered under warrantee, its scheduled to be into the dealership next week, but wanted to reach out to see if others have seen similar issues and have had luck with getting the brakes repaired under warranty?  TIA.

2 hours ago, Gangly said:

I would first check the brakes for yourself and see if the visual evaluation of your brake system by a state inspection employee is accurate or not.

Agree on that. Though I don't understand rust on brake pads. Rust on the outer edges of the rotors I understand. On the pads, no. I noticed you live in Vermont. Would the rust be from road salt? I would like to know what the dealer says. 

16 hours ago, Phantom 4D said:

Agree on that. Though I don't understand rust on brake pads. Rust on the outer edges of the rotors I understand. On the pads, no. I noticed you live in Vermont. Would the rust be from road salt? I would like to know what the dealer says. 

Yes, agree also, thanks.  Plan to remove the wheels this weekend and have a look for myself.  I don't believe that it is the brake pads themselves that are rusted, rather its something with the brake caliper/pad that is causing concern, whatever it is my mechanic indicated that its not typical.   I will try and post a pic over the weekend if I get a chance.

Yes the outer edges of the rotors do take a beating due to the winter conditions here in VT and show rust.  However that is not the concern and why it wouldn't pass the safety inspection.  If that was the case very few vehicles pass VT safety inspection.  For example our other car has 32K miles and has similar rust on the outside edge of the rotor but passed inspection without a problem.

Will report back with what the dealership has to say.  Thanks for the responses.

• Like 1