84,000 miles and needs a new transmission

1 hour ago, sage55 said:

So I've received recommendations on transmission fluid, what about filters? ACDelco or go with a different brand?

Doesn't really matter.  If you can get an AC Delco then just go with it.  I went with a Car Quest filter on our 2016 Suburban.

• Like 3

Thanks guys!

@Grumpy Bear this should make you happy... I called around locally for Amsoil and Red Line, no one had Amsoil but a local guy did have Red Line D6. So I have 14qts of Red Line D6 ready to go into the new transmission once it gets delivered on Friday!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sage55 said:

Thanks guys!

@Grumpy Bear this should make you happy... I called around locally for Amsoil and Red Line, no one had Amsoil but a local guy did have Red Line D6. So I have 14qts of Red Line D6 ready to go into the new transmission once it gets delivered on Friday!

You should send him a bottle of whiskey.

I think he likes Crown Royal😁😅🤣

Scratch that 

He likes this stuff....mmmmm

mi-woodford-reserve-bourbon-d177b8ded5dff12d.jpeg

Edited by dieselfan1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

You should send him a bottle of whiskey.

I think he likes Crown Royal😁😅🤣

Scratch that 

He likes this stuff....mmmmm

mi-woodford-reserve-bourbon-d177b8ded5dff12d.jpeg

Lets see how well this Red Line D6 stuff works first and then I'll send him some Woodford... it's not to far out my backdoor. Their double oaked bottle is amazing stuff. :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Of course the saga continues... towed the truck back to the GM dealer to have the new transmission re-programmed. They just called and said they couldn't get it to program and thought they were having issues communicating back with GM and will try again tomorrow.

I'm ready for this ride to come to an end. :D

• Like 1

The dealer was able to get the transmission programmed yesterday afternoon!

Last night I went out and took out the thermostat out and replaced it with a Sure-Cool flow system. Big thanks to @CamGTP for this suggestion... when I first read your comment on page 1 I really thought you was being sarcastic but man this thing has made a huge difference in temp. In the two test drives I've done so far I'm seeing 40-50 dergree temp reductions!!

Still working on trying to find a local guy to program the transmission to help reduce the wear on the TCC.

Also stopped by Harbor Freight yesterday and picked up a new fluid extractor and I'm planning on replacing the Red Line D6 fluid after 20,000 miles and replace the oil and filter at every 40,000 miles. My trust in this transmission is certainly shot at this point.

6 hours ago, sage55 said:

The dealer was able to get the transmission programmed yesterday afternoon!

Last night I went out and took out the thermostat out and replaced it with a Sure-Cool flow system. Big thanks to @CamGTP for this suggestion... when I first read your comment on page 1 I really thought you was being sarcastic but man this thing has made a huge difference in temp. In the two test drives I've done so far I'm seeing 40-50 dergree temp reductions!!

Still working on trying to find a local guy to program the transmission to help reduce the wear on the TCC.

Also stopped by Harbor Freight yesterday and picked up a new fluid extractor and I'm planning on replacing the Red Line D6 fluid after 20,000 miles and replace the oil and filter at every 40,000 miles. My trust in this transmission is certainly shot at this point.

I like Double Oaked 😉 

• Like 1

Double oaked is my every second Sunday drink. Woodford Reserve is 'friends over for steaks' drink. Evan Williams Black label is my everyday drink and Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage...well...that's someone got married or buried liquor.

:thumbs:

Buy a bottle and drink it on me. 

Your off the hook. Enjoy.

😉 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a minute since I've lasted posted about this, but thought I'd share. Before doing the thermostat delete on my transmission my normal temps was always 190 or more.

Now, this is the average temp. No matter if I'm driving around town or on the highway. It may be up or down 3-4 degrees but mid 130's is where it sits now.

thermostat-delete.thumb.jpg.dc470e23b9e424e885343c8975dade38.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 11/7/2021 at 7:05 AM, sage55 said:

It's been a minute since I've lasted posted about this, but thought I'd share. Before doing the thermostat delete on my transmission my normal temps was always 190 or more.

Now, this is the average temp. No matter if I'm driving around town or on the highway. It may be up or down 3-4 degrees but mid 130's is where it sits now.

You're welcome Sage.

On 11/7/2021 at 6:05 AM, sage55 said:

FYI there is a GM TSB out for a new gearbox t-stat unit.

instead of being fully open 194, its now fully open 158

21-NA-199