84,000 miles and needs a new transmission

I've just ordered a SURE-COOL cooler (STL010) and should have it delivered in just a few days. The Jasper rebuilt transmission should be here next Friday.

I'm still debating on buying a 6L90 torque converter at this point.

Weren't you complaining about this trans needing to be replaced to soon? I would be upgrading whatever I could including fluid.

IMO if you do this right and maintain it properly 200 K miles isn't out of the question.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sage55 said:

I'll see if I can find either Red Line D6 or Amsoil option around here in town.

I noticed Jasper offers a billet converter cover for their 6l80e torque converters, is it worth doing that upgrade?

If you can't find AMSOIL locally, let me know and I can get you a quote on it delivered to your door.

Here is a good link to see your vehicles capacities. 

Edited by Black02Silverado

4 hours ago, sage55 said:

I'll see if I can find either Red Line D6 or Amsoil option around here in town.

I noticed Jasper offers a billet converter cover for their 6l80e torque converters, is it worth doing that upgrade?

If I owned a V8 with this six speed the SONNAX billet cover AND apply piston would be part of my upgrades. These converts in the standard duty truck have a high enough failure rate the after market is involved. IF you decide to not do this upgrade then get the TCM tuned. Cameron can tune you up on what those parameters are and why. Even if you do the tune is a good idea. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Weren't you complaining about this trans needing to be replaced to soon? I would be upgrading whatever I could including fluid.

IMO if you do this right and maintain it properly 200 K miles isn't out of the question.  

Yup and that's exactly my point. Should I worry about upgrading the converter cover to Jaspers billet option or would I be better off buying an entirely different torque converter.

I'm certainly not opposed to buying whatever I need to now to prevent this from happening in another 4-5 years because this is ridiculous in my opinion.

Required Reading:

https://www.sonnax.com/units/520-6l80-6l90-jmbx-multi-plate-performance-converter

Required Watching:

https://www.youtube.com/c/PrecisionTransmission

You fellas with the K2s sure suffer needlessly with these transmissions.  The older generation doesn't have half your problems which are almost all attributed to the increased temperatures because of the stupid thermostat they put on your trucks.

I dunno, I just have the transmission fluid change and flush done at the dealer. Never asked what they put in.
After 81,000 miles, still works a treat and I have someone to blame if it doesn't.
JMO

• Like 3

I really liked my 2008, but one of the reasons I traded for my 14, was the 4 speed in it.

It was a late build, should have had the 6 speed, but for whatever reason had the 4 speed with the 3.42, worst combo ever.

You could not go around a corner without it kicking itself down to 1st gear, which created some fun/dangerous driving on wet pavement. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

I really liked my 2008, but one of the reasons I traded for my 14, was the 4 speed in it.

It was a late build, should have had the 6 speed, but for whatever reason had the 4 speed with the 3.42, worst combo ever.

You could not go around a corner without it kicking itself down to 1st gear, which created some fun/dangerous driving on wet pavement. 

Late 2009 Crew Cabs go the 6-speeds first.  Only the Denalis had them from the get go.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Late 2009 Crew Cabs go the 6-speeds first.  Only the Denalis had them from the get go.

Yea, knew the 2009 was going to the 6 speeds. Thinking mine (2008) should have actually been an 09, just because of the 3.42 and a few other items on the truck since it was built right at, or other side of the cut off for 2008 models.

Good to know that others with an early 2009 got to experience the same things I did🤣😂😬 

• Like 2