AT4 Mid-Travel Build

Coming from a Fully built Long Travel Tacoma (I know I know, its a smaller truck, but still), you're not gonna get trophy truck performance off of anything bolt on. I've eyeballed the 'Long Travel' kits from Dirt King and Baja Kits a few times, but building any long travel truck is a money pit and a headache lol. Thanks for posting pics btw, I've have the BDS 4" kit in my cart for about a year now debating on getting it.

If you're still stock in the rear, that's definitely your problem running trails. Stock shocks aren't going to perform anywhere close to bolt on Foxes, and as someone else said, putting some weight in the bed helps.

I was looking into trying to mix and match the Camburg performance leafs with whatever lift it balances out to match the BDS 4" lift block, plus adding some sort of storage situation in the rear to add weight for a better ride.

Another thing to think about-

TUNING.

I don't know what stock tune the Foxes come with from BDS, but I'd be willing to bet they aren't tuned perfectly for offroad usage, (usually a medium between street ride and offroad usage), so its going to ride semi well on road and offroad, but you can't have both. My Tacoma felt amazing at about 60MPH+ across trails/dunes/Whups, but rode like absolute garbage under that speed on road or dirt. And that was with about $15k per axle.

Anyhoo, I would say go with the Fox rears, look into a performance leaf pack and lose the block....or the smallest block you can find combined with the best leaf pack, AND throw some weight in the back. (Funny story- my first Tacoma I had I put some big ass 4" lift springs in the rear and drove around with an XXXL Home depot storage container filled with big ass rocks and sand, probably about 200-300lbs just to settle the leaves a bit, rode like a dream with that box in there lol). Even my LT truck always rode smoother when I put about 200lbs in the bed.

Feel free to msg me and we can talk shock tuning and such. I'm not expert on the matter, but it took quite a while to get triple bypasses tuned up to the point where I was able to hit 80MPH across a mile long whup section at the beach.

17 minutes ago, NorCal2020 said:

Coming from a Fully built Long Travel Tacoma (I know I know, its a smaller truck, but still), you're not gonna get trophy truck performance off of anything bolt on. I've eyeballed the 'Long Travel' kits from Dirt King and Baja Kits a few times, but building any long travel truck is a money pit and a headache lol. Thanks for posting pics btw, I've have the BDS 4" kit in my cart for about a year now debating on getting it.

If you're still stock in the rear, that's definitely your problem running trails. Stock shocks aren't going to perform anywhere close to bolt on Foxes, and as someone else said, putting some weight in the bed helps.

I was looking into trying to mix and match the Camburg performance leafs with whatever lift it balances out to match the BDS 4" lift block, plus adding some sort of storage situation in the rear to add weight for a better ride.

Another thing to think about-

TUNING.

I don't know what stock tune the Foxes come with from BDS, but I'd be willing to bet they aren't tuned perfectly for offroad usage, (usually a medium between street ride and offroad usage), so its going to ride semi well on road and offroad, but you can't have both. My Tacoma felt amazing at about 60MPH+ across trails/dunes/Whups, but rode like absolute garbage under that speed on road or dirt. And that was with about $15k per axle.

Anyhoo, I would say go with the Fox rears, look into a performance leaf pack and lose the block....or the smallest block you can find combined with the best leaf pack, AND throw some weight in the back. (Funny story- my first Tacoma I had I put some big ass 4" lift springs in the rear and drove around with an XXXL Home depot storage container filled with big ass rocks and sand, probably about 200-300lbs just to settle the leaves a bit, rode like a dream with that box in there lol). Even my LT truck always rode smoother when I put about 200lbs in the bed.

Feel free to msg me and we can talk shock tuning and such. I'm not expert on the matter, but it took quite a while to get triple bypasses tuned up to the point where I was able to hit 80MPH across a mile long whup section at the beach.

Thanks for the reply, some good info for sure. Sounds like a badass Tacoma! I love Toyotas too, no ****** talking here 

I did order a custom Deaver leaf pack that that is built off of their M27 kit and it will eliminate the 4" rear block. I think this will help a lot compared to stock with an overload spring.

The hard part I'm having now is finding a shock that has enough length to make use of the additional down travel gained from the leaf pack.

I spoke with Accutune (who have great customer service btw) and the longest Fox 2.5 DSC they make for our trucks would bolt on, but it would be maxed out and wouldn't have any down travel. 

Unfortunately Fox universal custom shocks won't fit due to some weird fitment issues they had with the reservoirs. 

The only off the shelf shock I have found that will fit are the Rough Country Vertex shocks which will handle up to 7.5" of lift. They are adjustable and have a remote reservoirs, but I wouldn't expect the performance or reliability to compared to Fox or King of course. 

• 5 months later...