2020 1500 - Adding a 120 Volt Dash Plug

I removed some of my dash trim and popped out the square blank off plug to install a switch. I found two 2 wire plugs attached to the back of the blank off plate. Can anyone tell me if these are for the 120 volt receptacle that would have been there if my truck had it?

No description available.

Edited by NorthernX31

17 hours ago, imsoselfish415 said:

I did the same thing for the same reason on my 2020 1500 and got the same results now im trying to locate where the fue for it goes then if there is a fuse find out how to make power come to it. 

The dash.heic 680.89 kB · 2 downloads

I can't open the file you've attached. Can you upload it as a pdf? Also I'm thinking that this mod may require a trip to the dealer to activate this circuit.

• 7 months later...
On 12/19/2021 at 8:04 AM, NorthernX31 said:

I removed some of my dash trim and popped out the square blank off plug to install a switch. I found two 2 wire plugs attached to the back of the blank off plate. Can anyone tell me if these are for the 120 volt receptacle that would have been there if my truck had it?

No description available.

I purchased the oem plug for the dashboard and plugged in the connectors in from the back of the blank and nothing happened. I haven't messed with it sense then however I think it may require the power module and a flash from the big bow tie to get going. I'm actually coming around to activating it soon. If you haven't done that project yet let me know ill check back in and let you know how it goes 

Wouldn't you need to have a power inverter for that to work? My truck didn't have this option either, so I just bought a cheap one for whenever I need to charge my laptop while away from the office/home, and it works fine for my needs.  

Limited-time deal: FOVAL 150W Power Inverter 12V DC to 110V AC Converter with 3.1A Dual USB Car Charger https://a.co/d/6y70don

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/14/2022 at 5:52 AM, imsoselfish415 said:

I found out you do need a power inverter got one brand new off ebay $89 probably going to need a flash from chevy Ill let you know how it all works out..

Any update?
I already had the invertor module under the passenger side dash, and installed the factory receptacle in its place. still nothing. So I'm sure the BCM needs a check/update to get the power correctly going to it.

Let us know if you have yet to go down that route.

I haven't seen anyone mention replacing the switch bank above the power port. From the factory there is a button that turns on and off the 110v outlet. You would need that and a BCM flash to enable it. Good luck getting a dealer to do that. Hell, they want $150 to enable the GM fog light kit for my truck after I installed it MYSELF! It came with a code which I thought was part of the high price of the kit meaning that the BCM flash was included in the cost of the kit. NOPE! It's just an Authorization code to say, yes this is a GM kit and you're allowed to flash the BCM for the customer and charge them for it. They'll probably tell you it voids your warranty too since it wasn't a factory option or a GM accessories add on kit.

• 1 month later...

The two wires in the back of the dash will not supply 110V. I am really not sure what it is for but it wont work even if you just buy the plug. You would have to add a power inverter and wire it up to get power. You would have to find a 12V power source to power the inverter and turn off when your truck is off. There are some posts about this long ago. I haven't had time, but I do plan to figure it out soon.

You would pretty much have to wire the inverter, than wire to the OEM plug by splicing or building a harness for it work (What I plan to do). 

• 2 months later...

Has anyone finished with installation of this, please? I'm planning to do same in my Custom 2020. I already purchased recommended power inverter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KT26D68/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A3W15S426VVWJO&psc=1) and I also got OEM Power Receptacle for the dashboard (https://www.gmpartsoutlet.net/oem-parts/gm-jet-black-accessory-power-receptacle-84581301?origin=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu9-QmZm-_wIVUMOGCh1djwetEAQYASABEgKq7fD_BwE)

I'm planning to splice power from 12v socket to feed that tiny power inverter. This is the simplest workaround I've found all over internet to avoid BMC charges. Sadly, it will keep power running constantly for as long as the truck is ON, but it is what it is...

I would appreciate any help from members here. Thanks!