Potential Odometer Discrepancy?

Hey All,

I bought a used 2019 High Country back in July. When I bought the vehicle, the odometer had like 31k miles on it, which aligned with what the CarFax report was showing.

Fast forward to this week. When I was out running some errands, my check engine light popped on. Conveniently, I was going to be passing by an Auto Zone in a mile or so, so I stopped in and had them read the code. 

The employee hooked the reader up and gave me my printout. The issue was a Knock Sensor, but what caught my eye more was the Fix Finder report said my truck has 60k on the odometer, when it only reads 37k.

My questions are, are those machines accurate when pulling the mileage?  Should I be going back to the dealer and see what they say?  Has anyone else ever come across this?

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to the feedback. 

1 hour ago, vancealot29 said:

Hey All,

I bought a used 2019 High Country back in July. When I bought the vehicle, the odometer had like 31k miles on it, which aligned with what the CarFax report was showing.

Fast forward to this week. When I was out running some errands, my check engine light popped on. Conveniently, I was going to be passing by an Auto Zone in a mile or so, so I stopped in and had them read the code. 

The employee hooked the reader up and gave me my printout. The issue was a Knock Sensor, but what caught my eye more was the Fix Finder report said my truck has 60k on the odometer, when it only reads 37k.

My questions are, are those machines accurate when pulling the mileage?  Should I be going back to the dealer and see what they say?  Has anyone else ever come across this?

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to the feedback. 

59545.728 would be the reading if the scanner was switched to Kilometers. 

Just a guess. 

• Like 1

Any chance it's a 'metric' unit truck?

(both versions can be operated in 'inch' or 'metric' units, even though there are dic and speedo display differences)

With the current exchange rates and market demands, many (most?) used ones from my area are sold into the US. 

I have no idea if that makes a difference in the code reader might pull up.

Edited by redwngr

1 hour ago, redwngr said:

Any chance it's a 'metric' unit truck?

(both versions can be operated in 'inch' or 'metric' units, even though there are dic and speedo display differences)

With the current exchange rates and market demands, many (most?) used ones from my area are sold into the US. 

I have no idea if that makes a difference in the code reader might pull up.

Just asking, but do they change the cluster for the US market, when it is sold here, or would it still look like this?

See the source image

Edited by JimCost2014

Aren't the US speedos 140 dials rather than 200? 

(so that at 60 mph the US cluster would have the needle at the 12 o'clock position, same as a metric cluster does at 100 kph)

Obviously the gauges that are painted cannot change their units, but the speedos can highlight the other (mph / kph) on the dial face and move the needle to the correct location. 

I've imported a us vehicle (not a gm pickup) and it had both sets of units painted on the dial -- US version of the vehicle the MPH font as larger, Cdn version of same vehicle the kph units were more prominent. But both would indicate the 

Trim level changes cluster too.

Some of them show different numbers on oil pressure and coolant temp gauges, based on selected units.

(Lots of vehicles just use low/high on those gauges anyway...)

Tach, voltmeter and fuel level aren't impacted by units choice.

Edited by redwngr

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help.  Doubt the truck is a metric truck, as it was originally sold to a dealer in FL, and has stayed in FL based on the CarFax service history.

Even though the print out from Auto Zone read in miles, based on how damn close it was (forgot the exact mileage I was on), I will also go with the miles/kilometers conversion.