GM Chevy multi flex/pro tailgate

3 hours ago, chieffie said:

hum, wouldn't current signal being sent via key fob and switch inside still go to new gate and if so i could wire top part of gate in with it and the whole thing open at once ?? 

FYI 

FYI   I HAVE THE POWER DOWN GATE        F17 FUSE IS 15 AMP

hum, wouldn't current signal being sent via key fob and switch inside still go to new gate and if so i could wire top part of gate in with it and the whole thing open at once ?? 

I think there will be a timing issue involved. If the inner gate is unlatched

first, the main gate won't unlatch.

I don't know if the BCM is doing this and your work around will work or if there is something in the gate doing it.

• Like 1

There's a tilt switch in the inner gate that if it is open, it won't allow the whole gate to come down in case there is something it could contact and damage the tailgate. There's two buttons on the gate handle for the Multi Flex, one for the whole gate and one for the inner gate. You have to drop the main gate first then the inner gate if you want to use it as a step. I'm not sure the tilt switch is the only thing that makes the inner gate function or not. My dealer made it sound like there's a whole different rear wiring harness as well as BCM programming for it. The Multi Flex option was only $445 on my Custom. On higher trim levels they force you into a certain high priced option package to then add on the gate. I think it was closer to $2500 on an LT by the time you were forced into the option package and then were able to add the Multi Flex option.

good info getgone, got the gate for 900 brand new take off 1500 LTZ, same color as mine, GONNA GIVE IT A GO AND SEE, will have to get creative it sounds, all else fails then i sell it

Gotta have something to do these days, the only other truck i would have costs 30 grand more so got plenty of room to play

scott

On 12/27/2021 at 12:26 PM, N.Penley said:

Just curious but why?  Do you like the look/function of the tailgates or plant to use it for one of the intended purposes?  Did you damage your original tailgate and buy this as a replacement?  I truly do not want to be disrespectful but use my trucks to tow frequently. When a salesman explained you cannot leave a drawbar in the receiver when you lower the center section I was confused...  Plus the steps in the bumper corners are more practical given the ability to use the bedside as a handrail.  Since then I have never even once seen a multi-pro tailgate used as advertised.  I work on a site that has hundreds of contractor trucks in and out daily and have never seen anyone use these tailgates as a step or desk or bed extender.  I genuinely wonder what the appeal is to you and others who desire the tailgate over the standard model.  I was on the fence when shopping but the lack of ability to use the tailgate as a step without pulling the drawbar out every time and the choppy looking front fenders are what sold me on the trail boss over the AT4.  

Thank you for your thoughts and good luck with the install.  

i am a contractor and used mine all the time when i had it, was great

i would get one for my 2500 if its possible to add it, not for 3k or even 2k though, for 1k i would seriously think about it........HD are tall af, 

Edited by Dunn

quick update, haven't messed with till this afternoon, busy week..  the connector plug from multi gate is same style but has 9 small wires plus big black wire....  good news is the plug on my LT All Star truck has nine prongs and all in same corresponding slots as gate plug, plus the black wire... unit should go down then we will see what it takes for center section to work 

i measured it all ways and unit is correct size and even better the same color.   just need to take the Z off of LTZ

Scott

2 hours ago, chieffie said:

quick update, haven't messed with till this afternoon, busy week..  the connector plug from multi gate is same style but has 9 small wires plus big black wire....  good news is the plug on my LT All Star truck has nine prongs and all in same corresponding slots as gate plug, plus the black wire... unit should go down then we will see what it takes for center section to work 

i measured it all ways and unit is correct size and even better the same color.   just need to take the Z off of LTZ

Scott

Thanks for the update.

update, the whole gate comes down via key fob and one of the 2 switches plus inside switch, had to take apart my old gate to get camera and cable since flex gate camera didn't have same connection and then run camera cable, no biggie just work, the center gate doesn't work via switch on gate, ran out of time for now to diag but did make a work around.

i put zip tie on each latch and then drilled small hole in plastic for them to protrude, just pull them and down she comes, works very nice

didn't see any type of angle switch in the flex, perhaps the BCM coordinates the sequence

the plug on truck side has 9 wires like the gate, will get to probing next weekend

Scott

already loving getting into bed of truck, so much easier to load items as well.  i'm thinking the truck harness is just like the GMC unit in 2019 and may just need the BCM programed since all 9 wires are present on truck side connector

need an expert to chime in

scott

55 minutes ago, chieffie said:

already loving getting into bed of truck, so much easier to load items as well.  i'm thinking the truck harness is just like the GMC unit in 2019 and may just need the BCM programed since all 9 wires are present on truck side connector

need an expert to chime in

scott

2019-2022 T1 Pickup Custom BCM Programming - White Automotive & Media Services (whiteautoandmedia.com)

• 1 month later...

Has any one figured this out this so frustrating I have a 2021 Chevy Silverado that came with out the multi flex gate I ordered a flex gate for this truck and it fits but the dealer does not know what do here. they said I need a new wire harness and that it will be really expensive to do this install, plus they said that Chevy wont give them the BCM programing. I cant be the only one facing this problem. does any one have any advice on this I don't know if I should give up on this. its driving me crazy I have been looking on the internet for answers on this and nothing  wam says that they don't have anything for this fix. any help would be much appreciated thanks  

marshman, if your stock gate came down via key fob then the flex will as well, only the center piece will not work but you can make it work manually like i did, my take off flex came with harness

update, the whole gate comes down via key fob and one of the 2 switches plus inside switch, had to take apart my old gate to get camera and cable from wire harness, since flex gate camera didn't have same connection and then run camera cable down left side of flex, no biggie just work, the center gate doesn't work via switch on gate, ran out of time for now to diag but did make a work around.

i put zip tie on each latch and then drilled small hole in plastic for them to protrude, just pull them and down she comes, works very nice