GM Chevy multi flex/pro tailgate

Just curious but why?  Do you like the look/function of the tailgates or plant to use it for one of the intended purposes?  Did you damage your original tailgate and buy this as a replacement?  I truly do not want to be disrespectful but use my trucks to tow frequently. When a salesman explained you cannot leave a drawbar in the receiver when you lower the center section I was confused...  Plus the steps in the bumper corners are more practical given the ability to use the bedside as a handrail.  Since then I have never even once seen a multi-pro tailgate used as advertised.  I work on a site that has hundreds of contractor trucks in and out daily and have never seen anyone use these tailgates as a step or desk or bed extender.  I genuinely wonder what the appeal is to you and others who desire the tailgate over the standard model.  I was on the fence when shopping but the lack of ability to use the tailgate as a step without pulling the drawbar out every time and the choppy looking front fenders are what sold me on the trail boss over the AT4.  

Thank you for your thoughts and good luck with the install.  

Mine was on the truck I bought.  Didn't think I wanted it but now that I have it, I have to say it is awesome.  I've used it in every configuration and it's extremely useful for me.  Being able to reach in and get things out of the bed makes it worth every penny.

Sorry OP, don't have any expertise here, hopefully someone who knows will chime in for you. Once you get it sorted I think you'll be happy with it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chieffie said:

howdy, just purchased one from a 21 LTZ, WHATS IT GOING TO TAKE TO MAKE IT WORK PROPERLY ON MY 2019 SILVERADO LT ALL STAR EDITION ?

any help much appreciated

chieffie

Couple big problems you face.

- You need to unplug your current tailgate and look inside the truck side of the connector.  Its a 30 pin connector, 18 of the spots should be occupied.  If you already have the power unlock gate, it should have the wiring.  If you don't, you are SOL.  

-  If there isn't 18 terminals in there, you can't proceed any further, it won't remotely work.

- If there is 18 terminals there and the wiring, you face another problem.  Left instrument panel fuse block.  Fuse F17 should have a 10A fuse in it.

- The biggest problem?  BCM.  You can plug it all in, all you want assuming all the wiring is there, it's a 50/50% works as is or won't work without custom BCM programming.

WAMS is an option for it, you'd have to contact them to see if it can be done.  2019-2022 T1 Pickup Custom BCM Programming - White Automotive & Media Services (whiteautoandmedia.com) 

In the end, if you can't get the BCM programmed, you can't add the gate.  BCM drives not only the tailgate latches that are already there, but it has to operate the latch for the middle gate.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

Hope you can get it working OP.  I have one on my '21 AT4 and absolutely love it.  I actually don't use it to climb into the bed as I have found the helper bar and the side steps work better for me, but I use the multifunction gate fully folded down as a bench when putting my hiking boots and snow shoes on.  Just this morning we had a hike on one of our favorite trails that was very icy and snowy.  We had our micro-spikes on our boots, so just put them in the bed until we got to the trail head.  Super easy putting our boots on, sitting on the lower step fold out section, real easy to reach the laces.  :)

Edited by Kilgore Trout

Well it is cold and snowing here today (-12C) ok, not the -50 from other parts, but I am at sea level.

Anyway, tailgate doesn't open - frozen shut. Had to get all sorts of lock de-icer on the hinges and such and i was able to finally get it open. This is a piss poor design and is a very large pain in the rear end for someone that uses the truck as NOT a grocery getter. 

Oh and the Kicker Audio has quit too. 

It is all heading into the shop inside the month.

Does anyone have any work arounds?

Cheers,

You're looking at ~$3500 to make it work. You have the tail gate already, which is a big cost. Is it for a 1500 LTZ? I see lots of 2500/3500 gates out there and they won't work on a 1500. I specifically wanted a Trail Boss Custom with the Multi Flex tailgate. The dealer couldn't find any mid February/early March and priced out adding the tailgate and about $3500 was what they found just for parts. The whole rear wiring harness is different for it as well as the BCM programming. I'm not sure if it's a different BCM or just has additional functions programmed in. I love my Multi Flex and works great for stepping up and down out of the bed loading stuff.

7 hours ago, chieffie said:

howdy, just purchased one from a 21 LTZ, WHATS IT GOING TO TAKE TO MAKE IT WORK PROPERLY ON MY 2019 SILVERADO LT ALL STAR EDITION ?

chieffie

About 5 grand. Have one on my '19 SLT and never use it. Looks cool, but I trailer my boat on the regular and am not going to take my ball & hitch off every use therefore rendering the tailgate rather useless during boating season. Was cool the one time I got plywood and popped it up lol. Also is cool to use it as a step and as a spot to sit but I've done that maybe 20x in the 2+ years I've had it and could have done the same thing with a regular tailgate minus the foot placement. 

What would be a lot cooler is a tailgate with Auto drop AND Auto Up. Now that is something that I'd pay for. The multipro is the definition of a gimmick. Sure the tailgate itself looks 10x more bad@ss with that section cut out of it aesthetically, but to me, that is the best thing about it. 

Can think of plenty of better ways to spend my money. Anything over $1,000 is absolutely nuts, and in actuality they are going to set you back north of $3,500-$5,000. That's a joke IMO but not going to worry about how somebody else wants to spend their nickels. 

QT6   Tailgate, gate function power up/down with power lock and release

Silverado has QT6 available...

I sometimes tow a trailer that has a trailer jack that does not fold down, and it tailgate is opened it will hit the jack.

Fortunately, I can access the bed (without opening the cover) by opening the small section of the tailgate.

18 hours ago, chieffie said:

chieffie

Also as someone else pointed out, if its from an HD, it won't fit the truck at all.  Has to be a flex gate from a 1500.  

nice replies, Gate off 21 1500 LTZ brand new,    my truck has the power unlock gate so maybe i have a chance new dude

ill get it to work and let ya know     SHOULD I GET THE BCM FROM DONOR TRUCK ???

2 hours ago, chieffie said:

nice replies, Gate off 21 1500 LTZ brand new,    my truck has the power unlock gate so maybe i have a chance new dude

ill get it to work and let ya know     SHOULD I GET THE BCM FROM DONOR TRUCK ???

You cant use the BCM from the donor truck at all, the modules are all VIN tied to the vehicle now. Cant swap them and cant program them to work either. If this mod requires the BCM (It does) you will be hosed and stuck with a fancy tailgate that doesnt work.

hum, wouldn't current signal being sent via key fob and switch inside still go to new gate and if so i could wire top part of gate in with it and the whole thing open at once ?? 

FYI 

21 hours ago, newdude said:

Couple big problems you face.

- You need to unplug your current tailgate and look inside the truck side of the connector.  Its a 30 pin connector, 18 of the spots should be occupied.  If you already have the power unlock gate, it should have the wiring.  If you don't, you are SOL.  

-  If there isn't 18 terminals in there, you can't proceed any further, it won't remotely work.

- If there is 18 terminals there and the wiring, you face another problem.  Left instrument panel fuse block.  Fuse F17 should have a 10A fuse in it.

- The biggest problem?  BCM.  You can plug it all in, all you want assuming all the wiring is there, it's a 50/50% works as is or won't work without custom BCM programming.

WAMS is an option for it, you'd have to contact them to see if it can be done.  2019-2022 T1 Pickup Custom BCM Programming - White Automotive & Media Services (whiteautoandmedia.com) 

In the end, if you can't get the BCM programmed, you can't add the gate.  BCM drives not only the tailgate latches that are already there, but it has to operate the latch for the middle gate.  

FYI   I HAVE THE POWER DOWN GATE        F17 FUSE IS 15 AMP

hum, wouldn't current signal being sent via key fob and switch inside still go to new gate and if so i could wire top part of gate in with it and the whole thing open at once ?? 

1 hour ago, chieffie said:

FYI 

FYI   I HAVE THE POWER DOWN GATE        F17 FUSE IS 15 AMP

Hmm.  Its "possible" to try it and see what happens?