Any after stories with failed lifters?

Dave,

Having taken delivery of a '21 AT4 with the 5.3 and knowing the engine falls inside the affected date range of faulty lifters and rods and springs and rear window seals, I've been following here anxiously hoping your dilemma had been resolved. I can only continue to drive with fingers crossed. Not so, on the rear window. After 1500 miles and driving in various degrees of steady rain, for the first time... It leaks. I am right along side of you when you say you won't piss and moan and can only give you a "hang in there, man".     I traded a completely reliable Titan with 110k of my own miles, because "I always wanted a Sierra".  I even had a deal in the works for a new T, but... "I always wanted a Sierra".   I am almost hesitant to ask if you happen to know the production date of the engine in your truck, because I shudder to think it was nearly the same date as mine. (Feb 4, 2021). Ahh well. Keep us posted... I'll be watching, and... Hang in there, Man.

2 hours ago, thekcwolf said:

Dave,

Having taken delivery of a '21 AT4 with the 5.3 and knowing the engine falls inside the affected date range of faulty lifters and rods and springs and rear window seals, I've been following here anxiously hoping your dilemma had been resolved. I can only continue to drive with fingers crossed. Not so, on the rear window. After 1500 miles and driving in various degrees of steady rain, for the first time... It leaks. I am right along side of you when you say you won't piss and moan and can only give you a "hang in there, man".     I traded a completely reliable Titan with 110k of my own miles, because "I always wanted a Sierra".  I even had a deal in the works for a new T, but... "I always wanted a Sierra".   I am almost hesitant to ask if you happen to know the production date of the engine in your truck, because I shudder to think it was nearly the same date as mine. (Feb 4, 2021). Ahh well. Keep us posted... I'll be watching, and... Hang in there, Man.

Thx my friend…I hope your truck’s future is brighter than mine’s past and present.  I’m picking up a loaner tomorrow morning and then we’ll just have to wait and see.  I feel like I’m getting what I asked for…..I have owned multiple 4Runners (loved them/no issues) and a Honda Pilot (loved it/no issues)……and I traded in an Audi Q7 (best car EVER/no issues) for my Sierra…..I’m almost fearful admitting that because I now expect someone reading this to show up at my house to beat some sense into me……it would be deserved.

9 hours ago, SigPig94 said:

And here we go again.

Good morning all….hope everyone is doing well.  I once again had my truck towed to my dealership (on MON) with similar symptoms that led to one bank of lifters being replaced and numerous posts here.  I was just informed TODAY that the other bank now needs replacement.  After my first issue, I was told by the service manager that he has only seen a vehicle come back for a second bank replacement “1 or 2 times”….so boy do I feel SPECIAL 😐.

Looks like the best case scenario is “a week or week and a half”……I have just about given up believing in any best case scenarios.  Now I just have to battle to get a loaner or a rental and hope for the best apparently.  Several other similar vehicles are currently in this dealer’s shop for lifter replacements or total engine replacements, which will probably be the next shoe to drop for me.  Really disappointed…..I’ll be looking at Tundras and Titans when inventories increase.  No way I can trust this truck going forward.

I’ll update my situation as it unfolds…..thanks again to everyone for guidance/opinions/personal accounts.

That’s really disappointing. Looking back thru this thread you mentioned earlier that they said there might be additional lifters to replace in addition to the one bank but then they only replaced that one bank. I wonder if they knew you’d have additional problems and GM wouldn’t let them do it on warranty so they backed off on that talk. It looks like that if you have lifter failure with low miles and they only replace one side that it’s just a matter of time before the other goes. Totally get the trust issue. They replaced both banks in mine but I’m still skittish. 

9 hours ago, SigPig94 said:

And here we go again.

Good morning all….hope everyone is doing well.  I once again had my truck towed to my dealership (on MON) with similar symptoms that led to one bank of lifters being replaced and numerous posts here.  I was just informed TODAY that the other bank now needs replacement.  After my first issue, I was told by the service manager that he has only seen a vehicle come back for a second bank replacement “1 or 2 times”….so boy do I feel SPECIAL 😐.

Looks like the best case scenario is “a week or week and a half”……I have just about given up believing in any best case scenarios.  Now I just have to battle to get a loaner or a rental and hope for the best apparently.  Several other similar vehicles are currently in this dealer’s shop for lifter replacements or total engine replacements, which will probably be the next shoe to drop for me.  Really disappointed…..I’ll be looking at Tundras and Titans when inventories increase.  No way I can trust this truck going forward.

I’ll update my situation as it unfolds…..thanks again to everyone for guidance/opinions/personal accounts.

Double post

Edited by SilverMak

14 hours ago, SilverMak said:

That’s really disappointing. Looking back thru this thread you mentioned earlier that they said there might be additional lifters to replace in addition to the one bank but then they only replaced that one bank. I wonder if they knew you’d have additional problems and GM wouldn’t let them do it on warranty so they backed off on that talk. It looks like that if you have lifter failure with low miles and they only replace one side that it’s just a matter of time before the other goes. Totally get the trust issue. They replaced both banks in mine but I’m still skittish. 

Couldn’t agree more…..I immediately brought the same point up when they mentioned “additional lifters may need replacement” but ultimately only did one bank.  16k miles and this is my 3rd major repair (leaking rear window took over a week to fix).  Unreal.

Edited by SigPig94
Grammar

My #4 Lifter failed on my 2019 6.2L at 112K miles.  Took out the cam too.  Was told either $6k to fix the existing engine or 8k for a completely new engine.  I opted for the new engine and now have 4k miles on that.  That was $9,400 out of pocket and GM refused to help in any way.  They also said I needed a new fuel pump so they replaced that.  The truck is now broke down again but it's not engine related I think the fuel pump is out again.  Idk....honestly the worst experience of a purchase in my life and will never give GM another penny that I don't have to to fix this piece of junk.  It has me super stressed out and depressed honestly.  It shouldn't be right for them to screw someone over on a known issue.  I don't have that kind of money laying around to drop thousands into this truck.

4 hours ago, Josh Woyame said:

My #4 Lifter failed on my 2019 6.2L at 112K miles.  Took out the cam too.  Was told either $6k to fix the existing engine or 8k for a completely new engine.  I opted for the new engine and now have 4k miles on that.  That was $9,400 out of pocket and GM refused to help in any way.  They also said I needed a new fuel pump so they replaced that.  The truck is now broke down again but it's not engine related I think the fuel pump is out again.  Idk....honestly the worst experience of a purchase in my life and will never give GM another penny that I don't have to to fix this piece of junk.  It has me super stressed out and depressed honestly.  It shouldn't be right for them to screw someone over on a known issue.  I don't have that kind of money laying around to drop thousands into this truck.

Really sorry to hear about the trouble you’re going through…..that’s a lot of $$.  I just feel like I’m always gonna be worried about something going wrong…especially if I’m on a long trip or something.  I have 16k miles on this thing and it’s major repair #3 so it’s hard to have any feelings of optimism.  

On 3/30/2022 at 2:40 PM, SigPig94 said:

Thx my friend…I hope your truck’s future is brighter than mine’s past and present.  I’m picking up a loaner tomorrow morning and then we’ll just have to wait and see.  I feel like I’m getting what I asked for…..I have owned multiple 4Runners (loved them/no issues) and a Honda Pilot (loved it/no issues)……and I traded in an Audi Q7 (best car EVER/no issues) for my Sierra…..I’m almost fearful admitting that because I now expect someone reading this to show up at my house to beat some sense into me……it would be deserved.

That’s quite a downgrade going from Honda and Toyota to GM.  The days of just enjoying life and doing an oil change every 7500 miles have come to an end.

Edited by 1997SierraSLT

I feel for you guys! It's really disappointed that you'll have to go through this! I also fall in the affected dates, even though I haven't had any issues as I only have 7k miles on it I'm terrified to take this truck on a long trip. As much as I love my truck, I can't wait to get rid of it because of this damn issue!

On 3/30/2022 at 10:38 AM, thekcwolf said:

Dave,

Having taken delivery of a '21 AT4 with the 5.3 and knowing the engine falls inside the affected date range of faulty lifters and rods and springs and rear window seals, I've been following here anxiously hoping your dilemma had been resolved. 

What is the affected date range?  I have searched a lot of the threads and came up empty. My Sierra has a November 2021 build date so hoping I am outside the date range. 
Tom…

2 hours ago, Tom73 said:

What is the affected date range?  I have searched a lot of the threads and came up empty. My Sierra has a November 2021 build date so hoping I am outside the date range. 
Tom…

GM vehicle was made between 9/20 and 3/21 then you may have defective lifters which are more prone to premature failure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WeGone said:

GM vehicle was made between 9/20 and 3/21 then you may have defective lifters which are more prone to premature failure.

Thank you, just what I was looking for. 

12 hours ago, Silverado4x4 said:

No he has a build date of Nov 2021 so he is outside the defective date.

He ask the date range so I posted it. Obviously he is out side the date range.

Edited by WeGone