Rebuilding 8.6" G80 Rear End

Hello Everyone, 

I'm going to be rebuilding my mom's suburban 8.6" G80 rear end. I'm having a hard time finding the pre-load with the carrier installed and the backlash for the spider gears. if anyone has this information please let me know. 

thanks, 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, txab said:

It's probably on youtube somewhere. I rebuilt a dodge rear end using a Youtube video and all the info the guy provided since it was the same exact axle

Ya, there is alot of info out there but no one seems to have those numbers listed(or stated), wondering if anyone that works at a dealer could list these? I can release the last 8 of the VIN it it helps?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BlancoSilverado said:

Hello Everyone, 

I'm going to be rebuilding my mom's suburban 8.6" G80 rear end. I'm having a hard time finding the pre-load with the carrier installed and the backlash for the spider gears. if anyone has this information please let me know. 

thanks, 

AllDataDIY

image.thumb.png.300f03c7e9cd81fa8323c3b7a4c559b4.png

image.thumb.png.762396fd193d48d63e2e990c3146d126.png

image.png.2eccbd541241bcf6b0338ebb2e2daf06.png

image.thumb.png.34180ecc74d7b084e912d74f7abf4dc9.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alright, got about 80 miles on it and finally hit the hwy(kept it below 50mph for the for the first 50 miles). no noise until i get off the gas and are above 50mph. i'm hearing a wine noise only on deceleration and above 45-55mph, the ring and pinion looked fine but possibly not? 

I couldn't check pinion depth, there was no numbers on the pinion to check it too. i removed the shim that was on the pinion checked it with my mic at the thickest portion and put a new one on. I will be pulling the cover off this weekend to check over everything and install a thicker axle shaft c-clip. Ill probably have about 200 miles on it by that time. 

Edited by BlancoSilverado
** added more info**
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled the cover off over the weekend after going 500ish miles. everything looks good and preload is slightly les tan where I left it (assuming bearings have worn in). Still have slight noise only on deceleration and between 45-55mph. Nothing extreme, just something to note.

Thankyou for the help @swathdiver

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BlancoSilverado said:

Pulled the cover off over the weekend after going 500ish miles. everything looks good and preload is slightly les tan where I left it (assuming bearings have worn in). Still have slight noise only on deceleration and between 45-55mph. Nothing extreme, just something to note.

Thankyou for the help @swathdiver

You did a great job!  If ever in Fremont, California and need new gears, I know where to go!  LOL

• Like 1