DIY sliding window leak permanent repair

Leevon

• 3 months later...

I recently sealed my cracked, leaking rear slider. First, I took the headliner loose to about the middle of the cab. Then, I removed the spoiler and cleaned the roof and window frame with compressed air, water and then rubbing alcohol. I then applied AC Delco seam sealer along the top of the window frame all across. Let that sit for a day and then put 3M strip caulk on every bolt mounting surface and the 4 bolt holes on the ends. Once the spoiler was in place and nuts and bolts tightened, there was strip caulk sealing each side of every bolt and nut, as well as the 2 alignment pins. We've had some rain since and so far it is holding well. It wasn't a bad ordeal, but not something I want or will do on a regular basis. Too many other other choices of trucks to deal with this poor engineering, design and suppliers. Short of going to a glass company or body shop and having the fixed glass installed, this is good way to try to stop the leak yourself without going to the dealer and the aggravation of such. YMMV. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I know this is an old thread but maybe the author still looks at it.  Where did you make the little tape dams at on the window? and did you have to torque the spoiler bolts down? if so do you remember the torque ratings?  Plan on trying this soon hopefully it goes smooth