Fifthwheel options 6'9" bed

I am using a Reese GooseBox for my 5th wheel. It replaces the standard kingpin hitch on the trailer and all you have in the bed is a ball and 2 chain anchors. Smooth ride and a useable bed in seconds without having to remove big, bulky kingpin hitch.

• Like 1

I also have the factory pucks.  I went with the Andersen Ultimate Hitch. 40lbs so it's easy to get in and out. It can give you an extra 9" of clearance (depending on how you're able to configure the hitch and adapter) from the cab if you're concerned about hitting on sharp turns. My trailer has a pretty flat front (unlike Michael621 above) and has plenty of clearance on even the sharpest turns. Although it's rated at 24k lbs and 4500lbs pin weight, I probably wouldn't have chosen it for a trailer that heavy. Mine is half that and it works great for me.

• Like 1

I'll second adding a Reese Goose Box to you trailer and ditch the fifth wheel hitch.  With the factory ball mount about two inches behind the rear axle, and the extended reach of the Goose Box, you will end up with more cab to trailer clearance backing up with a sharp turn.  You can still run the trailer into the cab, but it helps.

• Like 1

I also went with the Reese Goosebox for my 5th wheel. It's worked out great. You can just flip the ball over when it's not in use and flip it right back out when you need it. I tested out the turning radius at home with my trailer hooked up to the truck and found that all the angles my truck could turn I wouldn't hit the trailer. Real use may vary *out in the wild. I had to pull a sharp u-turn from a gas station with the trailer attached and my truck was in the street while the trailer was still higher the gas station driveway...I just barely dinged my trailer to the plastic piece that holds the bed-view camera and the 3rd brake light. Only a scratch on my truck and barely tiny scratch on the trailer...but still good to know that testing it out on flat ground doesn't always equate to fully safe :D

• Like 1

I am using a Curt A25 with the industry standard rails, and I have not had any issues, just need to be aware on tight turns. I know my setup is different than OP using the factory puck system, but as far as I have heard the factory puck system actually sits slightly rear of the rear axle. So OP, you would have more clearance to the cab, and should be good with a standard mount. 

• 1 month later...

I installed a Reese Goosebox as well.  I like it after the first tow from Oregon to California Via Highway 101 (rough, winding & rougher).  
In comparison to the previous setup (B&W Companion with slider hitch, Lippert Rota-Flex pin box, Dodge shortbed), I am very happy to make the change.

I'm pulling the trailer about 2-4 time per month, and need the bed at every stop.  So this seemed like the best alternative.  If I was only pulling once or twice a year, I'd opt for the B&W without the slider.  I really like how easy it the B&W is to hitch, and how connected the trailer felt when towing.

My thoughts on the differences and towing experience, so far:

Pro's over my previous B&W/Rota-Flex setup:

* Removing the Companion slider was a heavy bugger. I did not enjoy removing/installing. Especially since I was doing it by myself.

* Small foot print in the front allows a bigger chest at the front of the bed.

* Seems like the airbag in the Goosebox is less jarring on the trailer.

* Looks expensive (great for bragging rights with the "neighbors"... lol)

* Was able to get about 6-1/2" of bed to 5th wheel clearance with a pretty level trailer.

Cons:

*Lining up is a learning experience.  I'm going to make a magnetic sighting system I can see looking out the back window to make connecting easier.  Something I can toss in the bed box.  I'm not competent enough to use the bed camera to get latitudinal alignment yet.  I'm using the trailer camera, set on the wheel well to get longitudinal alignment, and that works well.

* Less room down the side of the bed for chests and stuff, because of the size of the Goosebox structure when making turns.

* The ride feels a bit disconnected, especially on rough roads through the turns.  Feels like the trailer wallows in comparison to the 5th wheel connection.

* Goosebox sits a lot lower than a standard 5th wheel pin box.  So when the 5th wheel is level, I can't back under the Goosebox (it is lower than the bed).  At short narrow camp spots, that can leave the truck hanging into the road.

* inflating the air bag, and connecting the chains/safety brake would be more difficult without the Mult-Flex tailgate.  Really glad I ordered that on the truck.

* Goosebox sticks out quite a bit further in front of the trailer than the Rota-Flex 5th wheel pinbox.  Since I can't back under the trailer when the site is level, that's a bit more difficult to park the truck.

Pinbox-Support.jpg

Truck-&-Trailer-Hooked-Up.jpg

Goosebox-below-bed-height.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...