2020 SLT 1500 Fuel filler leak

I have a 2020 SLT 1500 3.0.  I used a gas can to put in fuel.  Almost immediately fuel started to run out under the truck.  Fuel was not coming back out of the filler tube.  When I used a hose to push in past the second fuel flap the problem went away.  The gas can nozzles are not long enough to open the second flap enough.  After further tests I found that just pouring the slightest amount of fuel inside of the outer flap caused fuel to leak out.  Is this normal?  I would think that the fuel should come back out the front of the fuel flap if overfilled.  

Has anyone had problems with fueling up with a gas can?  Tried two different cans with same results.  With a funnel, only took part of a cup to start leaking.  I could also see that a full tank and the truck parked leaning a little to the left could create the same problem.  I don't know how that assembly is made with some plastic liner inside.  In the picture I see a couple of spot welds that might have a hole.  Fuel flows out near where the flat bracket and the cylindrical filler assembly meet

2020 SLT Owner

Fuel filler 1.jpg

Fuel filler 2.jpg

Yes if you dont extend the funnel 4" or more down the neck leaks out like a B....... Maybe its to let any water trapped on top of first flapper to run out, I have noticed same thing at fuel up if i lft nozzel towards top of neck to top off tank completly, big puddle under truck

Yes, you're looking for one of these.  Should be in the glove box or console.

I think you'll need it to add anything into your tank, not just from a gas can.

f9a9809de01963163365429434dd2d8f.JPG.e96b80305d37bcba1daf52300a6b1c37.JPG

Edited by DiverRick