Whirring / Whining Noise 6L80

Hi

I have that whining/whirring noise in the video when idling. No other issues, no fault codes. It comes on and off, and is only noticeable when idling. It comes from the rear part of the transmission. TC is new. Oil is also new.

Any ideas?

• 2 months later...
34 minutes ago, SavageSierra said:

Mine has the exact symptoms. Did you figure out what it was? Torque converter?

No, is still there. Torque Converter is new. I suspect that the problem is with worn checkballs in the valve body. Those are made vom plastic and get worn over time. I think that those let a little fluid pass by which causes the noise.

• Haha 1

I appreciate the reply.

My truck is going to a transmission shop in a couple days. It has been whining like the video for about a month. It just started shuddering a little bit too.

I dropped the pan and there was no metal floating around just “normal” amounts on the magnet. I also changed the filter and have been driving it for two weeks with no improvement. 

We’ll see what the shop says about the shuddering and whining. Might be time for torque converter. I’ll post an update once I know more. 

Hi all,

This is going to sound absolutely crazy, and I can't verify if it is related or strictly a coincidence, but I was experiencing this noise last Fall and it was resolved after I replaced my exhaust manifold bolts (had three broken on the passenger side). I can't imagine why such a noise would be produced, but I hope this information is of use and can shed some sort of light.

For context, my situation was the exact same, I experienced this noise pretty much every day at idle, and it went away after I drove off. I couldn't figure out what it was and it seemed harmless so I kind of just endured it, even though it was annoying. Later in the year when it got a little colder and I got the "chattering" noise, I pinpointed the bolts and ever since that repair the noise has never come back. I guess I figure there must be some sort of connection because quite literally all I did was replace the bolts on the passenger side, nothing else.

Hopefully this information helps. I can say with certainty I do not believe this is a torque converter issue.

19 hours ago, OffTheAir said:

Hi all,

This is going to sound absolutely crazy, and I can't verify if it is related or strictly a coincidence, but I was experiencing this noise last Fall and it was resolved after I replaced my exhaust manifold bolts (had three broken on the passenger side). I can't imagine why such a noise would be produced, but I hope this information is of use and can shed some sort of light.

For context, my situation was the exact same, I experienced this noise pretty much every day at idle, and it went away after I drove off. I couldn't figure out what it was and it seemed harmless so I kind of just endured it, even though it was annoying. Later in the year when it got a little colder and I got the "chattering" noise, I pinpointed the bolts and ever since that repair the noise has never come back. I guess I figure there must be some sort of connection because quite literally all I did was replace the bolts on the passenger side, nothing else.

Hopefully this information helps. I can say with certainty I do not believe this is a torque converter issue.

Thanks, i'll check on that.

4 hours ago, pokismoki said:

the PR valve has been having issues on these transmission, could be a worn valve or the pump face surfaces are worn too..

That's something I also consider. But that would mean transmission out again :(

• 2 months later...

Have you had any luck figuring out the noise? My truck just started doing same thing a week or so ago. No clue where to even start but it’s driving me insane already. And it doesn’t do it all the time. Sometime It will when I put in park and sometime it doesn’t. Beats me 

• 1 month later...

Interesting you mentioned checkballs I recently changed my checkballs with "better" brown ones and also I was missing the number 4 ball so I added it in put everything back together and have the same whirring noise loud in park and neutral and quiet in driver and reverse!! Did u ever figure it out???

• 1 month later...

So, I replaced the valve body and still no difference.

BUT after replacing, I accidentially overfilled the transmission slightly. And the noise was almost always there and much louder. After I corrected the fluid level to the correct HOT level, the noise was back to normal.

So I suspect it has something to do with the fluid. Someone mentioned he changed the transmission oil to another manufacturer, and that solved the problem. I used Ravenol Oil (German Manufacturer) with Dexron VI specification. But maybe I should try AcDelco/GM Genuine?