Wireless Charger Upgrade

Recently got a new phone (iphone 11) and tried the wireless charger on the console only to find out it didn't work.  After doing some reading and researching, including searching on this site, I quickly found that this is common for what seems to be for models prior to 2018.  It does appear that replacement is fairly straightforward and found this (2014-2019 GM Wireless Phone Charging Kit for GM Trucks (Silverado & Si – Boost Auto Parts) as an aftermarket upgrade.   Curious if anyone has used this or have any other recommendations on what to replace it with?

Hello. I updated my 2017 GMC Canyon with the 2018 charging pad several years ago. I had to buy the charging pad from GM and the pins and end plug from Mouser Electronics to make the special harness.

A lot of work. Cut to the chase here.

The complete module kits that is plug and play are here:

https://harnessdr.com/product/2014-2018-wireless-charging-module-kit-adapter/

or here.

https://www.infotainment.com/products/general-motors-wireless-smartphone-charging-retrofit-kit?variant=10089207398436

zoz

I find the wireless pad in my 2018 annoying. Depending on the phone, it sometimes charges erratically, on...off...on...off. Worse if you have a plastic case on your phone.

And unless your phone is on silent, you get the "beep" sound when your phone commences a charge. Sometimes it would beep every 20-30 seconds as it cycled the power charge on and off. I think the phone has to be positioned perfectly in the center for it to work great. Super annoying. So I quit using it and just charge via the regular USB cable.

Maybe this is just my experience.

Interesting... I wonder if the aftermarket one in my original post would be any better, than the ones mentioned above which appear to be a direct OEM replacement. 

Edited by reardiff

The one from Boost Auto claims to have a triple coil for increased charging zone, not sure if that's a gimick or not but also curious for any comments or from those who have used either of these as upgrades. Price on all of them is pretty much the same. Who would have thought 2017 technology is outdated already. 

• 3 weeks later...

The issue I have is that the pad itself is too narrow. I first had a P30 Pro which fit perfectly (with case) on the charging pad and charged well. My new S22+ won't fit with the case. I guess I go with 3d printing a bezel and put an aftermarket charger there, and try to make it look as OEM as possible.

• 1 year later...

I swapped mine out for this one from Boost Auto Parts and seems marginally wider.  It fits my I Phone 11 just fine.  The charging pads in pre 2018 are not the most current with gen 2 Qi charging, so if you want to charge most newer phones you'll need to upgrade anyways. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, reardiff said:

I swapped mine out for this one from Boost Auto Parts and seems marginally wider.  It fits my I Phone 11 just fine.  The charging pads in pre 2018 are not the most current with gen 2 Qi charging, so if you want to charge most newer phones you'll need to upgrade anyways. 

I've always had a great experience with Boost Auto.
Thanks for this, I ordered one - didn't know this existed.
I hope it fits my 14 pro max. Even if it doesn't, at least my passengers will have an option.
Should be interesting ... my reason for buying most of what I get.

Edited by MikeBMW
  • Like 1

I've been sitting on this one for a while, was looking at the '18+ mod, but I think with this one, it might work better. I might get this one too. I already bought a fast charge pad that goes into the organizer tray up front and works good. Would be nice to have this as an option, as long as I remember my phone is there and I don't open the lid with it on(first ride home after getting my truck, did that and it flew to the back seat.. :D

Edited by jpinoy
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 4/12/2023 at 3:41 PM, reardiff said:

@reardiff & @MikeBMW Please tell us after all this time with the Boost Auto Parts charger what are your thoughts on it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maddog_Rabid said:

@reardiff & @MikeBMW Please tell us after all this time with the Boost Auto Parts charger what are your thoughts on it?

For me, it works great! I did, however, remove the heavier (thicker) cover and replaced it with a 1/16" rubber adhesive cover so I could charge through my QuadLok phone case.
Other than that, no issues! :)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MikeBMW said:

For me, it works great! I did, however, remove the heavier (thicker) cover and replaced it with a 1/16" rubber adhesive cover so I could charge through my QuadLok phone case.
Other than that, no issues! :)

Awesome thank you for the quick response.

• Like 1