Headlight replacements for 2011 GMC Sierra

The headlights in our 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 are pretty worn out and foggy. So we're looking to replace the headlights with something new and not sure if I should go with stock GMC headlights or if there is a quality aftermarket option?

Anyone have any suggestions?

11 minutes ago, Greg3641 said:

there are a ton of after market headlights for your 2011. just how much do you wish to spend how fancy do you want to get.

I'd like to be under $500 for new headlight assemblies to replace these old foggy lenses.

7 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

There are a great many choices but none will last like the originals.  There are many LED bulbs that work with the stock housing too.

Well the headlight assembly is really foggy and needs to be replaced. So I'll be looking at more than just LED bulbs.

41 minutes ago, sage55 said:

The headlights in our 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 are pretty worn out and foggy. So we're looking to replace the headlights with something new and not sure if I should go with stock GMC headlights or if there is a quality aftermarket option?

Anyone have any suggestions?

OE will be the best.  22853029 and 22853030.  They retail for $340 each.  You can probably find them for less.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sage55 said:

I'd like to be under $500 for new headlight assemblies to replace these old foggy lenses.

Well the headlight assembly is really foggy and needs to be replaced. So I'll be looking at more than just LED bulbs.

Right, you can get OE housings and if you want more modern bulbs, they make LEDs that work and don't melt the housings or wiring and such.  

My daughter chose some good ones and a manufacturer is sending us some other to test and review for them.

The OE housings will come with new OE bulbs, my kids comment that they are much brighter than anything else on the road so I'm in no hurry to replace on the Yukon.  The Sierra has LEDs in stock housings.

For $500.00 I will get a drill and a head light buffing kit and buff the plastic lenses and use that $500.00 for beer. I have heard of people removing light scratches from watch crystals with a rag, tooth paste, and a finger. If tooth paste doesn't remove the enamel from teeth I'm pretty sure it'll be ok on head light lenses. It'll take some elbow grease fersure.

• Like 1

Clear them and reseal them.  Then put something on them every time you wash them.  PlastiX or whatever it's called is what my neighbor uses on his Jeep thing and his are super clear.  He redid my previous truck's lenses but didn't have the sealer at the time.  They were super foggy and came out crystal clear.  Lasted quite a while and would have lasted longer if I had kept up on the monthly PlastiX or whatever that white bottle stuff is.  I'd have to look through my phone for the before/after picture.  Check ebay too if you really want to spend $$ and replace them.  When a duck decided to collide with my passenger headlight I found take offs on ebay well under what they would have cost new.  Wish I'd just bought both from the guy at the same time instead of buying one and then going back and buying the other later.

IMHO $500.00 is a lot to satisfy my ego and impress others who, in the long run, are thinking more about what you think of them than what they think of the headlights on my truck. Just sayin'.

If it were me I'd buy a set of good looking take offs and let the seller on Ebay spend the $500.00 on a set of "sexy" headlights.  Then I would spend my savings on beer....

• Like 1

A thread common to us all. I went to Project Farm, looked at his review of kits and chose the Sylvania kit-about $20. It took me 45 minutes total to do both sides and it includes the agents to maintain the plastic. 2013 gmc 2500HD CC TD denali