'89 S15 Speakers / Radio Issue

Been driving my grandpa's 1989 S15 around a few days and noticed the Left front (dash corner) speaker is the only one that actually works properly.  I've tried adjusting the balance & fade to test the other speakers but the right front speaker barely plays audio and the rear speakers don't seem to work at all....

Before I try replacement speakers, are there any other tips to troubleshoot these?

I've seen a video or two on youTube where the owner has the same issue with the S15/S10 from this generation and it just seems to be a known issue.

Speaker should be easy enough to remove. The grille probably wont survive being jostled around though. Pull it out an ensure it's connected. It could be dry-rotted to death.

That being said, you've found that it is a "known issue" on the generation of truck...that's probably your issue as well. Keep googling for the solution.

Might just be easier to buy a cheap head unit online. Crutchfield sells great installation kits.

3 minutes ago, Spiney Norman said:

Speaker should be easy enough to remove. The grille probably wont survive being jostled around though. Pull it out an ensure it's connected. It could be dry-rotted to death.

That being said, you've found that it is a "known issue" on the generation of truck...that's probably your issue as well. Keep googling for the solution.

Might just be easier to buy a cheap head unit online. Crutchfield sells great installation kits.

I did remove the right front speaker last night and verified the connection is good, but I had to move the balance completely to the right and turn volume almost 100% to hear just a little bit of audio.

Video of the issue I have: https://youtu.be/_1InlkUv46w?t=353

Start around 6:00 min mark to see the issue. He is even installing new speakers and has the same issue.

One last thing you can try. Like spiney mentioned, it will take a bit. But remove the cover plates for removing the radio, should be just a couple of screws, the rest should pop out with a slim standard screw driver, or putty knife.

Pull the radio out, and check to see if any if the connectors for wire ar loose and pulled out? If so, push back in and see if it resolves itself. 

The other thing to try, is to swap r speaker w left, see if it is louder. If so, then if radio took a dump, you can either buy a factory replacement an reinstall, or get a better one, but the adapter mount kit that fits your truck. 

• Like 1

My 2002 Silverado had the same issue 2 years ago, The Paper Cone Factory Speakers were done! Turned to dust just removing them. I did call Crutchfield, They have Never let me down, However if you have an Autozone near you they stock Kenwood Speakers for 40 bucks a pair. You could try that first, I've never had factory speakers sound better than Aftermarket Speakers until the last 10 years or so.