Stubborn Tailgate Release

Hi All - 

I know there’s a “spontaneous tailgate opening” thread but I haven’t found much info on this problem so here it goes…..

I have a situation where the tailgate won’t open (reliably) with the button on the tailgate.  If I push it enough times it finally opens.  The key fob as well as the button in the cab work fine.  Some info found online suggested maybe a switch.  For $17, I gave it a shot - no go.  It’s not at the dealer and, of course, they’re insisting on changing the switch again.

My experience in electronics says this is likely not a physical switch (or even wiring) issue.  The randomness of when or if it opens screams software or something “computer”/BCM.  I thought maybe the truck couldn’t sense the fob reliably in my pocket.  However, the “step release” button works reliably.

Any thoughts / ideas?  Dealer has had the truck for a week and no progress.

Thanks.

When you press the switch on the tailgate, can you hear the lock actuating? I found on mine, I have to slightly pull on the top handle / depression with my fingers as I push the button with my thumb and it opens normally. If I just simply push the switch, it's 50/50 if the tailgate will drop due to you're actually pushing the tailgate closed as you push the button...

• 3 weeks later...

I always hear the actuation but do not always get the tailgate to drop.   Eventually it does but I am wondering is there a manual tailgat latch override built in or possible mod.   When this truck has seen better days I want to still be opening the tailgate.  Also can the tailgate be opened with a dead battery?

jim

Edited by Maninthesea

8 minutes ago, Maninthesea said:

There is a provision for manually opening the tailgate behind a panel on the inside surface of the tailgate, so you could eventually get it open, but it’s not quick to use it.  Quickest way in the case of a dead battery would be to connect another 12v source. 

Edited by Another JR

• 1 year later...

subscribing.... I have this with my '19 and dealer fix before. It's out of warranty, it sometimes opens after unlocking from inside or key fob 3-5 times. And sometimes it doesn't open and I just barely pull on it and it releases. Sounds more mechanically on my end is the problem where it's not disengaging. 

I may try some lube and see if that works.