68 C50 LY6/LQ engine swap

366Chevy

Evening everyone. I am looking for input on a build I am going to be starting. I have a 1968 Chevy C50. I am going to be dropping the cab onto a 3/4 ton pickup frame and going to be going with a twin turbo build. I am trying to source the best block setup for this. I will be going for a high horsepower fuel injected build. Haven't decided on a transmission yet. Any advice or pointers are appreciated. Thanks

I brought up the LY6 first because I have a buddy with GM and he recommends that over an LQ.

IMG_9851.JPG

• Like 1

Literally doesn't make much of a difference here.

It's what you want the block to be made of. If you want higher horsepower, it needs to be an iron block. Doesn't matter if it's a LQ4 or a LY6/L96 engine. All of the later engines like the LY6 have VVT and crap like that, all stuff you'll have to delete and buy parts for. The LQ4/9 engines don't have that and you can do a standard camshaft swap with less parts involved.

Just whatever you pick it needs to have the later GEN 4 connecting rods or buy something aftermarket. The stock GEN 4 style connecting rods will handle 800hp all day long, more than enough to have tons of fun with. Any engine pretty much after 2004.5 has the larger H beam connecting rods.

The earlier engines/computers (P01 and P59's from 1999-2007) are much easier to tune if are sticking with a stock computer setup. But I'd suggest a Holley Terminator setup for something like this. Go with a 4L80e transmission, they are super tough and can get built to handle lots of power even in a heavy vehicle. Plus the Holley system can control them with the transmission controller kit.

Don't skimp on injectors and fuel system either, a decent chunk of money will be spent right there.

• Like 1