"things that will go bad"

likely switching from the 6.2l 1/2 ton to a 3/4 shortly. main reason is towing comfort with travel trailer. Were within the capabilities of the 1/2 ton but it still feels a bit uneasy or unsafe at times, both braking and being blown around on highway. Mileage is poor, but a lesser concern.

In my research of the newer diesels, there is lots of talk about emissions related problems... and how expensive all repairs are on these LSP. But really how much really goes wrong on these motors within the first 1-200,000 miles?

In summary- the question is what are the most common things that will go bad within the first 150k of ownership on a 6.6 LSP Duramax? and are the costs of these repairs really astronomical? Been years since ive run a diesel and really out of touch with their maintenance.

thank you

Sensors are the most common emissions parts.  NOX, EGT and particulate.  Depending on the sensor, they are in the $150-400 range.

We've had a few L5P both K2 and T1 in for injectors lately.  The one we just did last week had maybe 30K on it?  

We've done 4 DPFs on L5Ps just this year and I have a 5th ordered now.  4 of them were T1, one was a K2.  Backordered too.  Not sure what's going on here as I've never ordered a DPF for LML or LMM so strange to see L5Ps.

Biggest area of expense that can come as a result of customer error???  DEF in the fuel system.  GM has seen a rash of these and it's not good.  It requires REPLACMENT of the ENTIRE fuel system if the engine has been run.  So the tank, the in tank pump, fuel injectors, fuel pump, filter housing, high pressure pipes, cooler and fuel feed/return lines.

Article from GM Techlink with pictures of what happens when DEF is introduced into the fuel system.  Not good.  Diesel Exhaust Fluid Contamination in the Fuel System – TechLink (gm-techlink.com)

We had to fix two trucks for DEF in the fuel.  

This was almost never an issue on the 11-19 trucks as the DEF fill port was under the hood and not next to the fuel filler in the fuel door.  

Now, if you buy one, is it guaranteed to have any of those issues?  No.  Most L5Ps on the road are trouble free, just like not every 5.3 or 6.2 has an AFM lifter failure.  

Edited by newdude

26 minutes ago, RPaul said:

Thank you for reply, very informative..assuming those injectors are under warranty to 100k? On longer trips, wondering now if worth having one or two in truck is not a bad idea especially if backordered?

\

Good write up above,  these trucks are mainly issue free,  when you sell thousands there is bound to be issues and a lot of that is probably attributed to abuse or neglect.

Doubtful injectors are included in the powertrain warranty but would be on the bumper to bumper.  The powertrain warranties are usually for things internal to the engine only, those warranties across most manufactures are a joke, because within 100k miles very few motors are blowing up.  With that said at purchase or even after purchase you can buy a GM and only buy a GM extended warranty that does cover more things.   I would never own a diesel without a warranty, but with that said I typically dont own things for more than 3-4 years, and buying an extended warranty at purchase is dumb if you ask me.

I have a 21 diesel now and have gone back and forth with diesels over the years,  they haul nice and the control with the heavier frame is great.  But Im actually trading in my 21 tomorrow for a 2500 gasser,  loved the diesel but just dont use it enough to justify the 10k upcharge, and more costly maintenance and fuel.  With that gasser I should get the same control and handling but will miss out on the power of the diesel.  But then again I only haul something worthy probably 10-15times a year.

13 minutes ago, nards444 said:

\

Good write up above,  these trucks are mainly issue free,  when you sell thousands there is bound to be issues and a lot of that is probably attributed to abuse or neglect.

Doubtful injectors are included in the powertrain warranty but would be on the bumper to bumper.  The powertrain warranties are usually for things internal to the engine only, those warranties across most manufactures are a joke, because within 100k miles very few motors are blowing up.  With that said at purchase or even after purchase you can buy a GM and only buy a GM extended warranty that does cover more things.   I would never own a diesel without a warranty, but with that said I typically dont own things for more than 3-4 years, and buying an extended warranty at purchase is dumb if you ask me.

I have a 21 diesel now and have gone back and forth with diesels over the years,  they haul nice and the control with the heavier frame is great.  But Im actually trading in my 21 tomorrow for a 2500 gasser,  loved the diesel but just dont use it enough to justify the 10k upcharge, and more costly maintenance and fuel.  With that gasser I should get the same control and handling but will miss out on the power of the diesel.  But then again I only haul something worthy probably 10-15times a year.

thanks as well.

as far as the more expensive maintenance goes- what are the common items between more quarts on the oil change? in terms of overall maintenance? 

Similar fluid changes as 1500 but on different scale? i.e diff,transfer, trans etc? anything on the 2500 vary from 1500 general maintenance? 

apologize if these are intro to 2500 '101' questions...

2 hours ago, RPaul said:

Thank you for reply, very informative..assuming those injectors are under warranty to 100k? On longer trips, wondering now if worth having one or two in truck is not a bad idea especially if backordered?

Yes, diesels have powertrain coverage for injectors.  I wouldn't keep any spares IMO, seems like a waste as there are a few other related one time use parts in changing one.  

14 hours ago, lpg said:

thanks as well.

as far as the more expensive maintenance goes- what are the common items between more quarts on the oil change? in terms of overall maintenance? 

Similar fluid changes as 1500 but on different scale? i.e diff,transfer, trans etc? anything on the 2500 vary from 1500 general maintenance? 

On my second Diesel now (had 21, now a '22).  Oil changes cost me the same or slightly less than my '19 F150 Limited (Raptor Engine) did and fuel costs me less as I don't need premium and get better mileage.  Even the with the added cost of DEF (minimal) I think is the cost of ownership is pretty reasonable.  I would not let that be the decision maker.  Granted, I have never had one for the mileage you are talking.

20 minutes ago, Crazy Canuck said:

On my second Diesel now (had 21, now a '22).  Oil changes cost me the same or slightly less than my '19 F150 Limited (Raptor Engine) did and fuel costs me less as I don't need premium and get better mileage.  Even the with the added cost of DEF (minimal) I think is the cost of ownership is pretty reasonable.  I would not let that be the decision maker.  Granted, I have never had one for the mileage you are talking.

Interesting, haven’t looked into it but the oil seems to be 10+ quarts on L5p no?

On 8/4/2022 at 8:43 AM, newdude said:

Yes, diesels have powertrain coverage for injectors.  I wouldn't keep any spares IMO, seems like a waste as there are a few other related one time use parts in changing one.  

You sure? Not the way I read the warranty 

On 8/4/2022 at 6:43 AM, lpg said:

thanks as well.

def and fuel filter once a year is about it.  Diff is a diff regardless of what motor is in it. All 2500s are identical mechanically short of the power train

On 8/4/2022 at 9:39 PM, Crazy Canuck said:

You have to put things in perspective.  Diesel is 10k more up front but you will get lots of that back at resale. Comparing a raptor with added requirements isn’t like a normal half ton or even 2500 gasser. If you can get past the 10k the day its bought, isn’t much more daily but it does add up and when you start paying for fixes on that motor it won’t be kind. 

with that said I have had 4 diesels now and nothing compares performance wise. But your going to pay for it and your never going to save money or be cheaper.  When you start doing the cost per mile with a half ton against a 2500 diesel, or 2500 gasser vs diesel it really does cost quite a bit more.

Edited by nards444

17 hours ago, nards444 said:

You sure? Not the way I read the warranty 

I pulled that info right from the powertrain warranty coverage chart with the labor ops.  Fuel injectors for diesel show as a covered item for diesel powertrain warranty.  

• Like 1

newdude, I won't dispute what you say.  However, I have to agree with nards444 that the Warranty Manual is very confusing on this matter.

On page 5 of my 2020 New Vehicle Limited Warranty manual, it specifically states under Diesel Components Coverage:

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain component coverage are sensors, wiring, connectors, engine radiator, coolant hoses, coolant, and heater core. Coverage on the engine cooling system begins at the inlet to the water pump and ends with the thermostat housing and/or outlet that attaches to the return hose. Also excluded is the starter motor, entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors, and return line) as well as the Engine/Powertrain Control Module and/or module programming.

However, if you continue reading about the Federal and California Emissions warranties, later on page 24 it lists the components covered by these emissions warranties (below is a subset of the items which pertain to the fuel system).

Fuel Management System
AFM Exhaust Valves and Controller
Diesel Fuel Injection Pump *
Diesel Direct Fuel Injector and Rail *
HD Duramax Fuel Pressure
Regulator *
HD Duramax Fuel Pipes *
Fuel Injector
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Fuel Pressure Sensor
Fuel Pump Power Module
Fuel Rail Assembly
Fuel Tank Fuel Pump
Fuel Temperature Sensor
High Pressure Fuel Pump (SIDI)

If I am reading this correctly, the items listed above are covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty for 5yrs/50k miles.  However, if you're in California or one of the several states that get the California Emissions Warranty, then the items above (like the Diesel Direct Fuel Injector and Rail) that are flagged with an "*" are covered for 7yrs/70k.

Once again, GM could not have made this more confusing.  For some of these parts, they go from "specifically excluded" to 5/50 or 7/70 depending on where you live.

Edited by Njmurvin