Tailgate Won’t Open

My tailgate won’t open on my GMC . When I go to crank it up , I get the message that the inner tailgate is open, it is not. I tried opening and closing the inner tailgate, but no luck. Any suggestions , or has anyone else experienced this issue and if so what was the fix.

2 hours ago, Bamacommander said:

My tailgate won’t open on my GMC . When I go to crank it up , I get the message that the inner tailgate is open, it is not. I tried opening and closing the inner tailgate, but no luck. Any suggestions , or has anyone else experienced this issue and if so what was the fix.

Sounds like the switch in the latch has gone bad if it's saying it's open but, it's not.

Well it wasn’t the switch, it was the latch on the small door portion of the dual lift gate . The service manager said this was this first time he saw this. The part is on back order, they thought it would be here in a couple days , now they have no idea when it will arrive. Which means I have a pick up truck in which I can’t open my tailgate , which limits the use of the truck.

4 hours ago, Bamacommander said:

which limits the use of the trunk.

Fixed that for you. 

This is why I will do everything when it comes time to replace mine to avoid an electronic tailgate. That is absolutely silly to have something that is generally abused and dealing with extreme elements be controlled with an electronic actuator and no manual backup. The amount of crap in the creases from gravel, mulch and anything else is asking for trouble down the road. Electronic doors have backups, why not a tailgate? 

If they add a manual version of the multiflex tailgate I will consider it, but even then I much prefer that storage cavity in the new midsize trucks, that is much more useful. I like the idea of getting tow straps, my hitch and tie downs out of the cab. The heat will be less there than in my under hood storage box I added so the straps will last longer. 

Tyler

As I recall, mechanical gates were also know to occasionally fail. 🙄

We've heard all the same song and dance about every electric/electronic innovation in both on-road and off-road equipment.

Any part can fail.  

That's why there are repair departments and parts supply systems. 

Every GM garage I go into is full of GM's getting repaired.

Every Ford garage I go into is full of Ford's getting repaired. 

Every Deere garage I go into is full of Deere's getting repaired. 

etc, etc 

Edited by redwngr
  • Thanks 1

Talked to the dealer on Friday , they told me that they have no idea when the latch will be shipped. I was told that there is no inventory for this part anywhere in the country. So right now I have a pick up truck that I am limited in using the bed. I have a farm and am always hauling something, wood, hey, fuel, horse feed, etc. Not really happy right now. It’s probably a $30 part that GM does not have in its parts bin to ship out. I asked the dealer if it would be better and quicker to get a whole new tailgate. I’m taking it in on Monday and they are going to see what they can do. What a joke!