Radiator replacement

So when you by a radiator for your '04 be sure to get new fittings for the oil cooling side (driver's side) of the radiator. Mine came with new fittings for the trans fluid cooling but not the oil cooling.  The bottom half of the fan shroud is held in place by 3 snap tabs; to disengage the tabs use a medium sized common screwdriver, push it into the tab on the forward side and rotate your screwdriver, this will disengage the tab. When reinstalling the lower shroud be sure to have all the cooling lines fully installed before hand. The lower shroud half fits into into a plastic piece that's screwed into the core support. Do not attempt to install the lower half of the should until the radiator is in place (you'll break that piece) and then the fan installed. Leave the coolant hoses for last. The oil cooling lines will prolly be a little shorter than they were when new because the rubber hose portion has likely shrunk due to age. If the insert isn't at 90 degrees to the fitting EXACTLY it's not going to fit into it's "home" I had to remove the fitting, insert the line and install the clip, THEN screw the fitting into the radiator. The fittings have 2 O rings, 1 inside and 1 outside, For me it's hard to pick a replacement O ring because (mainly) if it isn't correct you wasted the effort because the fitting won't accept the pipe or it'll go right in and not seal and now you have a mess to clean up. So get the new fittings, you'll be ahead in the long run.

Edited by dna9656
  • Like 1

I had to replace my radiator on my 03 S10 zr2. Definitely had tyranny and oil cooler lines. My dad taught me long time ago, to not just throw out old parts till you know for sure you don't need them anymore.

I got my new radiator off of Rock auto, they listed the different radiators, but I always go w AC Delco. The radiator had every metal hose connect installed on radiator, just needed the c clamp pins to connect tyranny lines. Didn't come w radiator. Used the old ones, they fit like a glove. Simple a d easy install.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having a hard time with the lower tranny cooler line. I have replaced the fitting on the radiator twice and it still leaks. I am beginning to think it's the radiator. I have a camera I can put down there and actually see what's leaking. I have to find it and put it on a charger.