Switch backlighting too dim

Just bought a 2020 Silverado 3500HD LTZ.

The backlighting for all switches/buttons is very dim unless I have the headlights on. In regular daytime running, It's difficult to see/read the switches.

This includes dash switches, door controls and steering wheel controls. If I turn on the side or headlights, they are illuminated and can be adjusted using the brightness controls. Turn the lights off or switch to auto and the backlighting turns off (or extremely dim).

Any ideas? I can't find any setting to change it.

TIA

1 hour ago, Brummie99 said:

Just bought a 2020 Silverado 3500HD LTZ.

The backlighting for all switches/buttons is very dim unless I have the headlights on. In regular daytime running, It's difficult to see/read the switches.

This includes dash switches, door controls and steering wheel controls. If I turn on the side or headlights, they are illuminated and can be adjusted using the brightness controls. Turn the lights off or switch to auto and the backlighting turns off (or extremely dim).

Any ideas? I can't find any setting to change it.

TIA

The only way to change is to probably turn the headlamps ""ON". There is a delay with the dash sensor at say dusk/dawn it takes the dash and switches a while to catch up.

What is compounding the issue is the previous owner had aftermarket tint installed on driver and passenger windows and what appears to be almost limo tint on the rear window making the interior very dark.

I think I will need to get the tint removed. Not confident doing it myself for fear of damaging the heating elements.

On 9/26/2022 at 10:51 AM, Brummie99 said:

Tint removed.

Problem solved.

The Crew Cab Sierra 2500 that I bought had very dark tinted windows on the front door windows as well as a tinted strip at the top of the windshield. Just like you discovered, it made the cab incredibly dark. I also removed the tinting. I used a steamer and it removed very easily. The windows on the back doors and rear window are also tinted but I left those to keep a little privacy for anything that I may be storing in the back. Anyway, removing the tinting sure brightened up the cab. 

• Like 1