Auto dimming rear view mirror

Russ757

On 11/14/2022 at 8:29 PM, Russ757 said:

Maybe 

On 11/13/2022 at 3:41 PM, Russ757 said:

Thanks. Was able to source one for $50. Will update once I install

Did you ever figure out if this was compatible on the refresh?

19 hours ago, Ludasooner said:

Has anyone actually done this on the refresh trucks? Saw the one post that wiring isn’t there.

I just got my truck last monday and pulled the dome bezel and Mirror housing down. I can confirm there is no blind plug, however I don’t think it would be hard to tap the light harness. The plug that goes to the mirror won’t work. Forget which color but one wire puts out 9v on key.

5 hours ago, Rickyn613 said:

I just got my truck last monday and pulled the dome bezel and Mirror housing down. I can confirm there is no blind plug, however I don’t think it would be hard to tap the light harness. The plug that goes to the mirror won’t work. Forget which color but one wire puts out 9v on key.

I was thinkin the same thing and just try and tap the wiring to the lights

• 7 months later...

May I ask what wires you guys tapped. I just bought the Gentex auto dim mirror with Homelink. I had manual dim mirror. My truck is a 2023 RST. I have some wires up under the mirror covers as well as access

to the overhead console. I think the overhead power stays hot though, I’d prefer something on ignition. 

For anyone wondering the same question I had, I ended up getting a fuse tap that I could only find on Amazon as no auto parts store sold a mini3 use tap. I used the fuse box in passenger side of dash and tapped fuse F26 I believe it was. It was an ignition switched circuit for usb charge or something. Used the 5 amp fuse that came with the tap and reused the 10 amp fuse that was there. Ran the line across the headliner and down the a pillar. There is a bolt behind the fuse box that is a good ground. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/15/2022 at 6:00 AM, Truck RamRod said:

On my 2022 RST refresh model the wiring harness was not glued to the head liner. I bought a harness off ebay that plugs into the mirror and had to hot tap a wire in the overhead console harness to power the mirror.

I have a 2023 RST and have your same issue... what wires did you tap into to get it to work cause I want to do the same thing? If you have pics that would be the best too! Thanks!!!

Guys. You're overthinking this. Just run a 2 conductor wire from the mirror, under the headliner and down the RT a pillar into the fuse box. Use a fuse tap and connect to one of the switched fuses. There's a ground point under the RT kick panel. Literally takes 20 minutes. 

Edited by Method2Madness
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Eugene Perez said:

Oh and I found this in the headliner above the passenger side in my 2023 RST..... does anyone know what it is and can we use it? 

20230929_144702.jpg

Are there only 2 wires on it? If so it's probably for the lighted sun visors. I added those to my 21 Custom.

10 minutes ago, GETGONE said:

Are there only 2 wires on it? If so it's probably for the lighted sun visors. I added those to my 21 Custom.

Yes there are only 2 but I am waiting for Gen5diy to get back to me for a harness and hopefully I get it working. I will post am answer by Monday 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I have a sensor that is using the power for my 2023 silverado rear view mirror that I just purchased. GEN5DIY made me a custom harness that just pigtails off of that sensors power and easy peasy!.... Best upgrade so far! Just make sure you get the right parts that fit your vehicle. Feel free to check out my install on my channel 

IMG_20231005_235607.jpg

Screenshot_20231012_184443_Photos.jpg

Edited by Eugene Perez
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2023 at 12:30 PM, Method2Madness said:

Guys. You're overthinking this. Just run a 2 conductor wire from the mirror, under the headliner and down the RT a pillar into the fuse box. Use a fuse tap and connect to one of the switched fuses. There's a ground point under the RT kick panel. Literally takes 20 minutes. 

What this guy said. You’ll need a micro 3 prong tap which is on Amazon for a couple bucks. You likely won’t find it in auto parts stores. Run wire across liner and down right  pillar into fuse box on end of dash. I think it’s fuse 32 is a a retained accessory power fuse. Pull fuse, insert fuses into tap and then insert tap back into original fuse slot. The tap likely will need to be shaved with a utility knife to fit. Don’t know why but it doesn’t fit otherwise. Just scrape off some of the black plastic on each end. There is a ground bolt right behind the fuse box. I had to remove the big blue power plug to get the bolt out and back in. It’s quite long. 

• Like 1

For those needing the harness on a refresh truck, reach out to Gen5DIY. They have one that plugs into the sensor behind the rear view mirror which then plugs in to the auto dim mirror. A lot safer and cleaner then trying to splice a wire yourself. The harness is $85 and totally worth it.