Alternator power to trailer

6 minutes ago, Another JR said:

I know you directed this at RnA, but I’ll chime in. I have 203 ah of LiFePO4 battery, a Victron 30 amp dc to dc converter, a Victron 30 amp mppt solar charger and 400 watts of panels, and a Victron battery monitor. I would have bought Battleborn batteries if I could have made two of them fit in my battery compartment, but it was not a good space or shape for that. They use cylindrical cells and have an excellent case and BMS. I ended up buying a 203 ah battery from BigBattery.com. They use prismatic cells like most of the other manufacturers. They had a good teardown review from Will Prowse on youtube, and the form factor and feature were perfect for my physical installation.  Two years in it is working well. 

Thank you for your input, I'll have to look into it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2023 at 10:44 AM, Jettech1 said:

I've been wanting to change my one standard battery over to 2 lithiums.  Our solar panel is only 165W but keeps the battery charged when in storage.  What brand did you go with concerning the batteries?

Sorry to take so long to respond.  We live near Victoria, BC, Canada, home of GoPower.  As such, we bought GoPower lithiums.  We have easy access to service if we need it.

• Thanks 1

You know what would be really cool, is if the camper system would accept full 120v A/C from our trucks and our trucks had a 30 amp hookup.  Sure you will have to run the truck for that kind of power, but that would be really cool in my mind.  I know our alternators put out 170 amps, but the wire gauge is too small to handle that much amperage in real life.  I'm not an electric vehicle kind of guy for now, but if the battery systems improve and can be used and recharged from a small gas or what I prefer a diesel engine, located in the truck, then I just might get on board.  Future thoughts perhaps...That way no one would need a generator when dry camping and the "smart truck" would just start up the small generator when needed......I love this idea...lol..