Key Fob question

Not sure about the T1s. I had a 2018 Silverado and they made an extended range remote fob for that truck. The standard key fob is all black, the extended range fob had a chrome trim ring around the black key fob. I think it was kinda spendy but much cheaper than $35 a month for OnStar. Call your local Chevy Parts Dept.

11 hours ago, Flyboygt said:

Bingo.

I have no desire to pay $35/month for a subscription to start my truck. 

You get all the benefits of onstar also.

35 is peanuts for the piece of mind I get.

BTW,  a friend of mines mother was in a single car crash that sent her way down in a ravine. Bottom line is onstar saved her life.

It's your money.

• Like 2

On 11/17/2022 at 5:12 PM, Flyboygt said:

Does anyone know if GM offers a factory longer range key fob for 2019-2021 Silverado? I'm looking for longer range with the remote start vs getting an aftermarket system and I have to carry 2 key fobs

Thanks!

GM has no such thing.  

You can get an Onstar plan for just the app and it is much cheaper than the full line of services. Off the top of my head I think I pay around $10 a month and it is well worth it in my mind.

The trick is start a chat with an advisor on the Onstar page and just ask a bunch of question about the services. Say that you are on the fence about it and they will eventually get the price down.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/22/2022 at 9:40 AM, Truck RamRod said:

You can get an Onstar plan for just the app and it is much cheaper than the full line of services. Off the top of my head I think I pay around $10 a month and it is well worth it in my mind.

The trick is start a chat with an advisor on the Onstar page and just ask a bunch of question about the services. Say that you are on the fence about it and they will eventually get the price down.

I pay like 7.50 a month. I don't care about the OS stuff, so I told them I could get a viper plan for 6 (like my old car had) and they countered with this. It's worth it. 

On 11/17/2022 at 5:12 PM, Flyboygt said:

Does anyone know if GM offers a factory longer range key fob for 2019-2021 Silverado? I'm looking for longer range with the remote start vs getting an aftermarket system and I have to carry 2 key fobs

Thanks!

It is free with APP for 5 years!!!

It's my third GM in 12 years, never paid a cent. You do not have to pay anything...although they try to sell the hell out of On Star, the APP is free. GM sales people rarely ever mentioned the free APP. My 2022 Silverado is now unlimited car start.

Download the APP, push On star button and they set up pin code....and try to sell On star, wifi, yadda yadda.

I have met a few friends in the last 3 years that didn't know they had free Remote with phone. They locked keys in vehicle. I got them to download APP, then call GM. They got their car unlocked and were amazed they has it 3 years and didn't know about it!!

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 10:16 PM, Mike Duhaime said:

It is free with APP for 5 years!!!

It's my third GM in 12 years, never paid a cent. You do not have to pay anything...although they try to sell the hell out of On Star, the APP is free. GM sales people rarely ever mentioned the free APP. My 2022 Silverado is now unlimited car start.

Download the APP, push On star button and they set up pin code....and try to sell On star, wifi, yadda yadda.

I have met a few friends in the last 3 years that didn't know they had free Remote with phone. They locked keys in vehicle. I got them to download APP, then call GM. They got their car unlocked and were amazed they has it 3 years and didn't know about it!!

US and Canada the remote app function used to be free for a couple years, then they started charging for it.

$14.95/mo for the Remote Access Plan.  Won't work without it.  Hasn't been free since like 2016 or so.  

Edited by newdude